The XM1156 Precision Guidance Kit is a U.S. Army program to develop a precision guidance system for existing 155 mm artillery shells. The prime contractor is Alliant Techsystems and the industry team includes Interstate Electronics Corporation.
In operation the PGK will screw into the nose of the projectile much like the existing fuze. However as well as the fuzing function it will provide a GPS guidance package and control surfaces to correct the flight of the shell. This is analogous to the addition of a Joint Direct Attack Munition (JDAM) tail-kit to a dumb iron bomb, creating a precision guided munition. If the shell does not land within 150 meters of its target, it deactivates itself and does not explode. The system began production in 2009, and was expected to be in service by 2010. Fielding is now expected to begin in spring 2013.
On 8 August 2013, Australia requested the sale of 4,002 M1156 Precision Guidance Kits with training and associated equipment for $54 million.
- Guidance: GPS
- Unit cost: < $3,000 
- June 2006: Raytheon downselected from XM1156 competition.
- July 2006: BAE Systems and Alliant Techsystems selected to take part in a competitive Technical Development (TD) program.
- May 2007: System Demonstration and Development (SDD) contract awarded to Alliant Techsystems.
- October 2012: Soldiers from Fort Bliss became the first troops to fire the XM1156 guidance kit. 24 PGK-equipped projectiles were fired.
- XM1156 Precision Guidance Kit (PGK) - Global Security
- "ATK Precision Guidance Kit (PGK) - ATK". http://www.atk.com/capabilities_defense/cs_ms_w_gp_pgk.asp.
- Why Excalibur Waits In Vain - Strategypage.com, 11 July 2013
- "ATK To Make Precision Artillery Shell - defensenews.com". http://defensenews.com/story.php?F=2793630&C=america.
- Fort Bliss Soldiers First To Fire Army's New Near-Precision Artillery Rounds - Army.mil, December 11, 2012
- FMS: Australia Requests Precision Guidance Kits for 155mm Munitions - Deagel.com, 12 August 2013
- "Precision Guidance Kit (PGK) Improving the Accuracy of Artillery Fire - Defense Update". http://www.defense-update.com/products/p/pgk.htm.
- Army munitions officials eye pending developments - Aviation Week
- "ATK Awarded Precision Guidance Kit Contract After Multi-Day Competitive Shoot-Off - ATK". http://atk.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=press_releases&item=679.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|