|Alma mater||Yale University|
Williamson Murray is an American historian and author.
Education and service
Murray attended Yale University, graduating in 1963 with honors in history. Following graduation he served as an officer in the United States Air Force for 5 years. He was assigned a tour of duty in Southeast Asia with the 314th Tactical Airlift Wing operating C-130s. Following his military service he returned to Yale as a graduate student in the Department of History, and in 1974 earned his Ph.D. in military-diplomatic history.
Following his graduation from Yale, Murray taught in the school's history department for two years. In 1977 he took a job at Ohio State University as a military and diplomatic historian. He was awarded the Alumni Distinguished Teaching Award in 1987. He retired from Ohio State in 1995 as a professor emeritus of history. He has taught at a number of universities, military academies and war colleges, including the United States Air War College, the United States Military Academy, and the Naval War College. He has served as a Secretary of the Navy Fellow at the Navy War College, the Centennial Visiting Professor at the London School of Economics, the Matthew C. Horner Professor of Military Theory at the Marine Corps University, the Charles Lindbergh Chair at the Smithsonian’s Air and Space Museum, and the Harold K. Johnson Professor of Military History at the Army War College".
- 2017: America and the Future of War: The Past as Prologue
- 2016: A Savage War: A Military History of the Civil War (co-author with Wayne Wei-siang Hsieh.)
- 2014: The Iran-Iraq War (co-author with Kevin Woods)
- 2014: Successful Strategies, Triumphing in War and Peace from Antiquity to the Present (co-edited with Richard Sinnreich)
- 2012: Hybrid Warfare: Fighting Complex Opponents from the Ancient World to the Present (co-edited with Peter Mansoor)
- 2011: The Shaping of Grand Strategy: Policy, Diplomacy, and War (co-editor with Richard Hart Sinnreich and James Lacey)
- 2011: War, Strategy, and Military Effectiveness
- 2011: Military Adaptation in War: With Fear of Change
- 2009: Conflicting Currents: Japan and the United States
- 2009: The Making of Peace: Rulers, States, and the Aftermath of War (co-editor with James Lacey)
- 2007: Calculations, Net Assessment and the Coming of World War II (co-author with Allan R. Millett)
- 2006: The Past as Prologue: The Importance of History to the Military Profession (co-editor with Richard Sinnreich)
- 2003: The Cambridge History of War (contributing editor)
- 2003: The Iraq War: A Military History (co-author with Major General Robert Scales, Jr.)
- 2001: A War To Be Won: Fighting the Second World War (co-author with Allan R. Millett)
- 2001: The Dynamics of Military Revolution: 1300-2050 (co-editor with MacGregor Knox)
- 1999: War in the Air: 1914-1945
- 1996: Military Innovation in the Interwar Period (co-editor with Allan R. Millett)
- 1995: The Air War in the Persian Gulf
- 1994: The Making of Strategy: Rulers, States, and War (co-editor with MacGregor Knox and Alvin Bernstein)
- 1992: Calculations, Net Assessment and the Coming of World War II (co-editor with A Allan R. Millett)
- 1992: German Military Effectiveness
- 1991: Military Effectiveness: Three volumes: The First World War, The Interwar Period, and the Second World War (co-editor with Allan R. Millett)
- 1985: Luftwaffe
- 1984: The Change in the European Balance of Power, 1938-1939: The Path to Ruin
- "Williamson Murray". Department of History. The Ohio State University. https://history.osu.edu/people/murray.1. Retrieved 26 July 2017.
- Potomac Institute for Policy Studies. "Williamson Murray, PhD, Academic Fellow". 2011. Potomac Institute for Policy Studies. http://www.potomacinstitute.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=837:williamson-murray-phd-program-director-history-social-and-strategic-ideas&catid=61:fellows-&Itemid=110. Retrieved 19 June 2012.
- Strategic Studies Institute (14 September 2011). "Dr. Williamson Murray". Strategic Studies Institute. http://www.strategicstudiesinstitute.army.mil/pubs/people.cfm?authorID=119. Retrieved 19 June 2012.
- Murray Appearances on C-SPAN
- Youtube. "Prof. Williamson Murray on Grand Strategy". Youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujlX1RvIDko. Retrieved 19 June 2011.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|