|Born||7 September 1914|
|Died||29 March 1996(aged 81)|
|Place of birth||Grävenwiesbach, Hesse|
|Place of death||Wiesbaden|
|Years of service||1933–1945|
21st U-boat Flotilla|
23rd U-boat Flotilla
29th U-boat Flotilla
(5–19 November 1941)
(2 December 1941–6 May 1942)
(25 May 1942–4 April 1944)
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross|
Waldemar Mehl (7 September 1914 in Grävenwiesbach, Hesse—29 March 1996 in Wiesbaden) was a German U-boat commander during World War II, and recipient of the (German language: Ritterkreuz des Eisernen Kreuzes). The Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross was awarded to recognise extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership.
Mehl joined the Kriegsmarine on 28 March 1933, and served a tour on SSS Gorch Fock, the light cruisers Karlsruhe, Köln and Nürnberg, and the battleship Schleswig-Holstein. From December 1939 he served as a naval intelligence officer in several positions on shore before transferring to the U-boat force in April 1941.
After the usual training, Mehl sailed on two patrols aboard U-371 between July and October 1941 as Kommandantenschüler ("Commander-in-training"), before taking command of U-62 and then U-72 as part of training unit 21st U-boat Flotilla.
In May 1942 he took command of U-371 and served in the Mediterranean, sailing on 12 successful patrols over the next two years, and sank nine ships (totalling 42,451 tons) and damaged four (28,072 tons). Among the ships sunk were the British minesweepers Jura and Hythe, and the American destroyer Bristol.
Mehl left U-371 in April 1944 and joined the staff of FdU Mittelmeer, joining the staff of the commander of U-boats in the Aegean in August. In October 1944 he was appointed to the Operationsabteilung ("Operations Section") for U-boats. After the war he served for three months in a minesweeper unit.
Summary of career
- Wehrmacht Long Service Award 4th Class (31 March 1937)
- Spanish Cross in Bronze (6 June 1939)
- Iron Cross (1939)
- U-boat War Badge (1939) (22 September 1942)
- U-boat Front Clasp in Silver (10 March 1945)
- German Cross in Gold (19 November 1943)
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross on 28 March 1944 as Kapitänleutnant and commander of U-371
- "Korvettenkapitän Waldemar Mehl". uboat.net. http://uboat.net/men/mehl.htm. Retrieved 15 May 2010.
- "Mehl, Waldemar". lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de. http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/Personenregister/M/MehlW.htm. Retrieved 15 May 2010. (German)
- Busch and Röll 2003, p. 432.
- Busch and Röll 2003, p. 433.
- Scherzer 2007, p. 533.
- Busch, Rainer & Röll, Hans-Joachim (2003). Der U-Boot-Krieg 1939-1945 - Die Ritterkreuzträger der U-Boot-Waffe von September 1939 bis Mai 1945 (in German). Hamburg, Berlin, Bonn Germany: Verlag E.S. Mittler & Sohn. ISBN 3-8132-0515-0.
- Fellgiebel, Walther-Peer (2000). Die Träger des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939-1945 (in German). Friedburg, Germany: Podzun-Pallas. ISBN 3-7909-0284-5.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007). Die Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives (in German). Jena, Germany: Scherzers Miltaer-Verlag. ISBN 978-3-938845-17-2.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|