|USS Michigan (SSGN-727)|
USS Michigan (SSBN-727)
|Namesake:||US state of Michigan|
|Ordered:||28 February 1975|
|Builder:||General Dynamics Electric Boat|
|Laid down:||4 April 1977|
|Launched:||26 April 1980|
|Commissioned:||11 September 1982|
|Motto:||Tuebor ("I will defend")|
|Status:||in active service, as of 2022[update]|
|Class & type:||Ohio-class|
|Length:||560 ft (170 m)|
|Beam:||42 ft (13 m)|
|Draft:||38 ft (12 m)|
|Speed:||Greater than 25 knots (46 km/h; 29 mph)|
|Test depth:||Greater than 800 feet (240 m)|
Construction and commissioning
Michigan was constructed at the Electric Boat Division of General Dynamics Corporation in Groton, Connecticut and was commissioned on 11 September 1982. Michigan arrived in Bangor, Washington on 16 March 1983 and completed sixty-six Strategic Deterrent Patrols.
Conversion to SSGN
As of June 2007, Michigan has been converted to an SSGN at the Puget Sound Naval Shipyard. Her hull classification symbol then changed from SSBN-727 to SSGN-727. See the section on SSGN conversions of the Ohio-class article for more information.
On 12 December 2009, Michigan returned to Naval Base Kitsap, her home base, completing her first deployment after the SSGN conversion. The deployment began 10 November 2008, and included numerous missions. The ship also completed several theater security cooperation engagements with Pacific Rim nations.
- "Ohio-class SSGN-726". http://www.fas.org/programs/ssp/man/uswpns/navy/submarines/ssgn726_ohio.html. Retrieved 2011-09-27.
- Frost, Peter. "Newport News contract awarded". http://www.dailypress.com/news/dp-local_subs_0424apr24,0,5810806.story. Retrieved 2011-09-27.
- "Submarine Frequently Asked Questions". http://www.navy.mil/navydata/cno/n87/faq.html. Retrieved 2011-09-27.
- "Ceremony Celebrates USS Michigan Conversion : Top Stories : Kitsap Sun". http://www.kitsapsun.com/news/2007/Jun/12/ceremony-celebrates-uss-michigan-conversion/. Retrieved 27 September 2011.
- "Michigan completes first SSGN deployment". Military Times. 16 December 2009. http://www.navytimes.com/news/2009/12/navy_subreturns_121609w/. Retrieved 27 September 2011.
This article includes information collected from the Naval Vessel Register and various news articles.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to USS Michigan (SSGN-727).|
- "NavSource Online: Submarine Photo Archive: Michigan (SSGN-727)". http://www.navsource.org/archives/08/08727.htm. Retrieved 27 September 2011.
- "USS Michigan official website". https://www.michigan.navy.mil/. Retrieved 27 September 2011. [dead link]
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|