Thure de Thulstrup (April 5, 1848 – June 9, 1930), born Bror Thure Thulstrup, was a Swedish-born illustrator who, after emigrating to America, became one of the leading illustrators there, with contributions for numerous magazines, including three decades of work for Harper's Weekly. Thulstrup primarily illustrated historical military scenes.
Thulstrup was born in Stockholm, Sweden. His father was Sweden's Secretary of the Navy amongst other such positions. After graduating from the Royal Swedish Military Academy, Thulstrup joined the Swedish military as an artillery officer at the age of twenty. However, he soon left Sweden for Paris, where he joined the French Foreign Legion and saw service in the Franco-Prussian War. Thulstrup also served in the French part of Northern Africa as a member of the First Zouave Regiment.
After leaving the French Army, Thulstrup moved to Canada in 1872 to become a civil engineer. He moved to the United States in 1873, where he became an artist for the New York Daily Graphic, and, later, Frank Leslie's Illustrated Newspaper, documenting local events. As his skills improved, he became able to move into more and more prestigious roles, including work for Century, Harper's Monthly, and Scribner's Magazine. While living in New York, Thulstrup studied at the Art Students League. His military pictures include a series of paintings depicting the American Civil War, and illustrations of a Virginian lifestyle in the middle of the eighteenth century.
Thulstrup primarily illustrated historical military scenes, and was praised by one of his publishers, Louis Prang, as "the foremost military artist in America", a sentiment echoed by other contemporary critics. He also illustrated various other subjects.
Thulstrup married Lucie Bavoillot in 1879. He died on June 9, 1930, leaving behind no children, and no personal papers of his have survived. Following his death, his illustrations have been labeled as "some of the most familiar scenes of American life now extant".
- Hildebrand, Albin (1901). Svenskt porträttgalleri. 20. Tullberg. http://books.google.com/books?id=X70DAAAAYAAJ&q=%22Thure+Thulstrup%22&dq=%22Thure+Thulstrup%22&lr=&ei=-nu6Sq6eFIOAywTHjKyADw.
- Dictionary of Literary Biography (online edition, Thure de Thulstrup article, page 1
- The Swedish Pioneer Historical Quarterly. 13-14. Swedish Pioneer Historical Society. 1962. http://books.google.com/books?id=U2_XAAAAMAAJ&q=%22Thure+Thulstrup%22&dq=%22Thure+Thulstrup%22&ei=8Xm6SvnqKp6KzATuhfGtDw.
- Dictionary of Literary Biography (online edition, Thure de Thulstrup article, page 2
- Little Visits with Great Americans or Success Ideals and How to Attain Them. Orison. Kessinger Publishing. 2003. p. 690. ISBN 978-0-7661-2727-2. http://books.google.com/books?id=WI4QqkjyNlwC&pg=PA690&dq=Thure+Thulstrup&lr=&ei=b4K6SsShCYXiywTy2OnXDg#v=onepage&q=Thure%20Thulstrup&f=false.
- L. Larson, Judy (1984). American Illustration, 1890-1925: Romance, Adventure, & Suspense. Glenbow Museum. p. 142. ISBN 978-0-919224-47-6. http://books.google.com/books?id=Yh1QAAAAMAAJ&q=Thure+Thulstrup&dq=Thure+Thulstrup&lr=&ei=fIK6St_zOImGzAS8n6XmDg.
- Dictionary of Literary Biography (online edition), Thure de Thulstrup article, pages 3-4 Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name "DoLBp34" defined multiple times with different content
- Weitenkampf, F. (2008). American Graphic Art. Read Books. p. 194. ISBN 978-1-4437-8436-8. http://books.google.com/books?id=nRyoUNBbp8cC&pg=PA194&dq=Thure+Thulstrup&lr=&ei=1H66SsmSEaKUzgTFmqHVCw#v=onepage&q=Thure%20Thulstrup&f=false.
- E. Neely, Mark; Holzer, Harold (2000). The Union File: Popular Prints of the Civil War North.. UNC Press. p. 222. ISBN 978-0-8078-2510-5. http://books.google.com/books?id=R4rWdS66EP4C&pg=PA222&dq=Thure+Thulstrup&lr=&ei=1H66SsmSEaKUzgTFmqHVCw#v=onepage&q=Thure%20Thulstrup&f=false.
- Prang, Louis; Holzer, Harold (2001). Prang's Civil War Pictures: The Complete Battle Chromos of Louis Prang. North's Civil War. 16. Fordham University Press. p. 32. ISBN 978-0-8232-2118-9. http://books.google.com/books?id=U8kZw_skugIC&pg=PA31&dq=Thure+Thulstrup&lr=&ei=1H66SsmSEaKUzgTFmqHVCw#v=onepage&q=Thure%20Thulstrup&f=false.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Thure de Thulstrup.|
- B., J., "Bror Thure Thulstrup," in Dictionary of American Biography, Vol. XVIII, 1936, pp. 512–513.
- H., P.G., "Thure de Thulstrup," The Book Buyer, Vol. XII, 1895, pp. 439–441,
- Harrington, Peter, "Thure de Thulstrup," Military Illustrated, No. 75, August 1994, pp. 34–35.
- Maxwell, Perriton, "A painter in black and white," The Quarterly Illustrator, Vol. 1, Jan-March 1893, pp. 48–55.
- Obituary, New York Times, Tuesday, June 10, 1930, page 27.
- "The Work of Thure de Thulstrup," Truth, Vol. XVIII, No. 1, January 1899, pp. 3–5.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|