Edward George Bollard|
21 January 1920
10 November 2011 (aged 91)|
Auckland, New Zealand
|Alma mater||Emmanuel College, Cambridge|
Edward George Bollard CBE (21 January 1920 – 10 November 2011) was a New Zealand plant physiologist and science administrator.
Born in Athlone, Ireland in 1920, Bollard moved to New Zealand as a child with his family. He was dux at Mt Albert Grammar School and then attended Auckland University College (now the University of Auckland). He joined Plant Diseases Division of the Department of Scientific and Industrial Research (DSIR), but all territorial units were called up after the bombing of Pearl Harbour and he left with the 9th Reinforcements of the 2nd New Zealand Expeditionary Force. He was involved in the invasion of Italy. Despite being a Pākehā, he was assigned to the Māori Battalion as a signaller.
At the end of the war he received a bursary to attend Emmanuel College, Cambridge and do a PhD under F. T. Brooks.
Returning to New Zealand he rejoined the DSIR and rose to direct its plant diseases division. He was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society of New Zealand in 1964, and was award the Hector Medal in 1972. In 1977, he was awarded the Queen Elizabeth II Silver Jubilee Medal, and in the 1983 New Year Honours, he was appointed a Commander of the Order of the British Empire, for services to science.
- Ferguson, A.R.; Bellamy, A.R. (9 July 2012). "Edward George Bollard". Royal Society of New Zealand. http://www.royalsociety.org.nz/organisation/academy/fellowship/obituaries/edward-bollard/. Retrieved 26 July 2014.
- "Auckland War Memorial Museum - Bollard-Edward-George-World-War-II,-1939-1945". Muse.aucklandmuseum.com. http://muse.aucklandmuseum.com/databases/Cenotaph/139002.detail. Retrieved 2014-08-05.
- Taylor, Alister; Coddington, Deborah (1994). Honoured by the Queen – New Zealand. Auckland: New Zealand Who's Who Aotearoa. p. 71. ISBN 0-908578-34-2.
- "No. 49214". 31 December 1982. p. 48. https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/49214/supplement/48
- "Dr Ted Bollard CBE FRSNZ, 1920–2011". Royal Society of New Zealand. 14 November 2011. http://www.royalsociety.org.nz/2011/11/14/dr-ted-bollard/. Retrieved 3 August 2014.
- "Burial & cremation details". Purewa Cemetery & Crematorium. http://www.purewa.co.nz/details.asp?id=136221&type=Ashes%20Burial. Retrieved 3 August 2014.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|