|Syriac Military Council|
File:Logo of the Syriac Military Council.jpg|
Official flag of the Syriac Military Council
|Type||Light infantry (militia)|
|Engagements||Syrian civil war|
The Syriac Military Council (Syriac language: ܡܘܬܒܐ ܦܘܠܚܝܐ ܣܘܪܝܝܐ Mawtbo Fulhoyo Suryoyo, Arabic language: المجلس العسكري السرياني السوري) is an Assyrian/Syriac military organisation in Syria. The establishment of the organisation was announced on 8 January 2013. According to the Syriac Military Council (MFS) the goal of the organisation is to stand up for the national rights of Syriacs and to protect the Syriac people in Syria. It intends to work together with the other communities in Syria to change the current regime of Bashar al-Assad. The organisation will fight mostly in the densely populated Syriac areas of the Governorates of Aleppo, Damascus, Al-Hasakah, Latakia and Homs.
On 16 December 2013 the Syriac Military Council announced the foundation of an new Military Academy named "Martyr Abgar". On December 24 the MFS, released photographs showing its members in control of the Syriac village of Ghardukah, located 8 kilometres (5.0 mi) south of Qahtaniyah (Tirbespiyê/Qabre Hewore). The village church had been completely destroyed by Jabhat al-Nusra, which occupied the hamlet before being expelled in mid-October during an operation launched by the People's Protection Units (YPG), in which MFS members may have participated. On 8 January 2014, the MFS announced that the group had joined the YPG ranks.
Tel Brak & Tel Hamis Operations
The MFS was also a part of a YPG-led offensive against Jabhat al-Nusra, Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIS) and Ahrar ash-Sham which began on 26 December 2013 in Tel Hamis area. YPG and MFS were unable to hold Tel Brak and failed to Tel Hamis, and the offensive was called off in early January. However, on February 23, a predawn raid by the Kurdish People's Protection Units and the Syriac Military Council captured Tal Brak from the Islamist.
- Syriac Union Party (Syria)
- European Syriac Union
- List of armed groups in the Syrian civil war
- Qaraqosh Protection Committee
- Syriacs establish military council in Syria, Hürriyet Daily News, 2 February 2013
- "Sher Tirbesipi" (in Kurdish). Rûdaw Kurdish. 14 October 2013. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l99iQaDH7e8. Retrieved 26 February 2014.
- The #Syriac Military Council has joined the YPG! Syriac Military Council Official Facebook, 8 January 2014
- Syriac Military Council: Most important decisions is to join YPG Dicle News Agency, 9 January 2014
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|