The Southern Transitional Council (Almajlis Alaintiqali Aljanubi; Arabic language: المجلس الانتقالي الجنوبي ) is a secessionist body in Yemen, whose 26 members include the governors of five southern governorates and two government ministers and is formed by the Southern Movement, also known as al-Hirak al-Janoubi. It calls for the separation of southern Yemen. The movement has not stopped its activities toward this goal since its establishment in 2007, during the term of former president Ali Abdullah Saleh.
Formed on 11 May 2017, the council consists of 26 members and is headed by Aidarus al-Zoubaidi as president, with Hani Bin Breik as vice-president. STC rules most of the territory in southern Yemen.
In the end of April 2017, Governor of the Aden Governorate Aidarus al-Zoubaidi was sacked by Hadi for disloyalty to him, and loyalty to the Southern Movement. On May 3, major rallies were held in Aden to protest the decision of Hadi. One week later, STC was formed, and some of the members were the governors of Dhale, Shabwah, Hadhramaut, Lahij, Socotra, and Al Mahrah governorates. It also have partial control of Abyan and Aden governorates. One day later, Hadi called the council illegitimate.
Government and Presidential commission
- Aidarus al-Zoubaidi - President of STC
- Hani Bin Breik - Vice President of STC, and general commander of Al-Hizam brigade (Also known as Security Belt forces)
- Fadhl al-Ghadi - Governor of Dhale
- Lutfi Bashareef - Minister of communications
- Murad al-Hallemy - Minister of Transportation
- Hamid Lamlas - Governor of Shabwah
- Nasser Al-Khobbaki - Governor of Lahij
- Ahmed bin Breik - Governor of Hadramaut
- Saleh Al-Awlaqi - Southern Parliamentarian
- Abdulhadi Shayif - Economist
- Abdullah Arefarar - Representative of Mahra and Socotra
- Abdurrab Al-Naqeep - Representative of Yafea(West-southern Abyan)
- Adnan Al-Kaaf - Deputy of Aden
- Ahmed Al-Socotry -Governor of Socotra
- Mona Basharaheed - Professor of literature
- Aqel al-Attas - Activist
- Lutfi Shatara -Journalist
- Sahair Ali - Professor of Law
- Ahmed Bamuallem -Brigadier General, representative from Hadramaut.
- Abdurahman Shaikh- Deputy of Aden
- Salem al-Awlaqi - Activist
- Ameen Saleh - Activist
- Nasser Assadi - Brigadier General, Activist
- Ali Ashaibah - Brigadier Genral, Activist
- Niran Suqi - Jurist
- Ali Al-Kathiri - Representative from SLA party
- The New Arab. "GCC: Aden-based Southern Transitional Council 'doomed to fail'". alaraby.co.uk. https://www.alaraby.co.uk/english/news/2017/5/16/gcc-aden-based-southern-transitional-council-doomed-to-fail. Retrieved 2017-06-08.
- The New Arab. "Banished Aden governor forms independent "South Yemen" council". alaraby.co.uk. https://www.alaraby.co.uk/english/News/2017/5/11/Governor-turned-president-Adens-Al-Zubaidi-announces-council-to-govern-South-Yemen. Retrieved 2017-06-08.
- Saudi Research & Marketing (uk) Ltd. "Thirty Southern Figures Reject Transitional Council in Aden - ASHARQ AL-AWSAT English". english.aawsat.com. https://english.aawsat.com/theaawsat/news-middle-east/thirty-southern-figures-reject-transitional-council-aden. Retrieved 2017-06-08.
- "GCC rejects formation of Yemen transitional council | Yemen News | Al Jazeera". aljazeera.com. http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/05/gcc-rejects-formation-yemen-transitional-council-170513141733873.html. Retrieved 2017-06-08.
- Saudi Research & Marketing (uk) Ltd. "Hadi Rejects ‘South Council,’ Urges Members to Clarify their Stances - ASHARQ AL-AWSAT English". english.aawsat.com. https://english.aawsat.com/ibrahim-al-qurashi/news-middle-east/hadi-rejects-south-council-urges-members-clarify-stances. Retrieved 2017-06-08.
- "Yemen gov't rejects formation of "southern transitional council" - Xinhua | English.news.cn". news.xinhuanet.com. http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2017-05/13/c_136278180.htm. Retrieved 2017-06-08.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|