Simeon Linekela Kambo Shixungileni (born at Okandiva village in Edundja in 1934 – died 2014 in Oshakati), was a Namibian guerrilla, army officer and politician. He was the second commander in -charge of the forces of the People's Liberation Army of Namibia (PLAN) at Omugulugwombashe when the armed struggle for independence began there on 26 August 1966 and was later jailed at Robben Island. He is a National Hero of Namibia for his contributions to the independence of the country.
Battle at Omugulugwombashe
In 1966 the UN General Assembly revoked South Africa's mandate to govern South West African territory and placed it under direct UN administration. South Africa refused to recognize this resolution. The group under Nankudhu had just started to build defensive structures and planned to train about 90 soldiers at Omugulugwombashe.
On 26 August 1966, eight helicopters of the South African Defence Force attacked the PLAN guerrilla fighters, only 17 of which were in the camp at the time of attack. It was the first armed battle in the Namibian War of Independence. In commemoration of the day, 26 August is a public holiday in Namibia. It is recognized by the UN as Namibia Day but Namibians refer to it as Heroes' Day.
Shixungileni was arrested, charged and was sentenced to death under the Terrorism Act. Following international pressure the sentence was converted to life in prison at Robben Island.
- "State burial for late Shixungileni". https://www.namibian.com.na/index.php?id=128926&page=archive-read.
- "Linekela Kambo Shixungileni: The Commander of the 1966 Oshikango Attack (1934 … )". 15 November 2013. https://www.newera.com.na/2013/11/15/linekela-kambo-shixungileni-commander-1966-oshikango-attack-1934/.
- Sasman, Catherine (27 Aug 2010). "Julius Shaambeni Shilongo Mnyika: the guerilla fighter (1938 to 2003)". http://www.newera.com.na/article.php?articleid=12706.
- Petronella Sibeene (17 April 2009). "Swapo Party Turns 49". http://www.newera.com.na/article.php?articleid=26156.
- "United Nations Conferences and Observances". https://www.un.org/depts/dhl/un_conf.htm#august.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|