|September 2016 Kabul bombing|
|Part of the War in Afghanistan (2001–2021)|
|Location||Kabul, Kabul Province, Afghanistan|
|Date||5 September 2016- 6 September 2016|
|Deaths||42+ to 58 (at least 5 attackers also killed)|
Explosions in Kabul on September 5, 2016 killed over 41 people and injured 103 others in twin suicide bombings near the Afghan defense ministry. Hours later, another huge explosion was heard. The Taliban claimed the first attack and said that their suicide bomber killed 58 people. Reportedly an army general and one district police chief were killed in the blast. Attacks lasted overnight with a siege and hostage situation. At least one person was killed and six injured in another attack on a charity CARE International building in Shāre Naw. The attack was claimed by the Taliban, with at least 3 of their attackers being killed and 42 hostages being rescued. The attacks come after another Taliban bombing only a few days before that killed two people and at least 6 militants.
- List of terrorist incidents in August 2016
- July 2016 Kabul bombing
- American University of Afghanistan attack
- Sayed Salahuddin and Paul Schemm (September 6, 2016). "Kabul shaken by attacks on international charity and Defense Ministry". The Washington Post. https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/kabul-shaken-by-attacks-on-international-charity-and-defense-ministry/2016/09/06/6e9f34ea-7403-11e6-be4f-3f42f2e5a49e_story.html. Retrieved September 6, 2016.
- "Twin Taliban suicide blasts kill at least 24 in Afghanistan capital". Hindustan Times. September 5, 2016. http://www.hindustantimes.com/world-news/blasts-near-afghan-defence-ministry-in-kabul/story-9CJ8S2L6NJoIYgqGuwBxKI.html. Retrieved September 5, 2016.
- "Huge explosion reported in Kabul hours after deadly twin blasts". Russia Today. https://www.rt.com/news/358356-huge-explosion-in-kabul/. Retrieved 5 September 2016.
- "Explosions in Afghan capital Kabul kill at least 24". The globe and mail. September 5, 2016. https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/taliban-claims-suicide-attack-in-afghan-capital-that-kills-at-least-two/article31708441/. Retrieved September 5, 2016.
- "Militants storm charity building in Afghan capital". Bigstory. September 6, 2016. http://bigstory.ap.org/article/730cf6d989da45279d7d7e5db142fcea/twin-bombings-near-afghanistans-defense-ministry-kill-5. Retrieved September 6, 2016.
- "Afghan blasts: Kabul charity hit by bomb and gun attack". BBC. September 6, 2016. http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-37283543. Retrieved September 6, 2016.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|