|SS William B. Woods|
|Career (United States)|
|Name:||William B. Woods|
|Namesake:||William B. Woods|
|Owner:||War Shipping Administration (WSA)|
|Operator:||A. H. Bull & Company, Inc.|
|Ordered:||as type (EC2-S-C1) hull, MC hull 1490|
|Builder:||J.A. Jones Construction, Brunswick, Georgia|
|Laid down:||6 July 1942|
|Launched:||13 March 1943|
|Sponsored by:||Mrs. Emil J. Kratt|
|Completed:||7 May 1943|
|Fate:||Torpedoed off Italy, 10 March 1944|
|General characteristics |
|Class & type:||
|Length:||441 ft 6 in (135 m)|
|Beam:||56 ft 10.75 in (17.3419 m)|
|Draft:||27 ft 9.25 in (8.4646 m)|
|Speed:||11.5 knots (21.3 km/h)|
|Capacity:||10,800 long tons deadweight (DWT)|
SS William B. Woods was a Liberty ship built in the United States during World War II. Named after William B. Woods, an Associate Justice of the Supreme Court of the United States and a member of the Ohio General Assembly.
William B. Woods was laid down on 21 July 1942, under a Maritime Commission (MARCOM) contract, MC hull 1490, by J.A. Jones Construction, Brunswick, Georgia; sponsored by Mrs.Emil J.Kratt, and launched on 7 April 1943.
She was allocated to A. H. Bull & Company, Inc. on 31 May 1943. On 10 March 1944, she was torpedoed and sunk by the German submarine U-952 near Palermo, Italy, Coordinates: , with the loss of one US Navy Armed Guard and fifty-one US Army personnel.
- "Jones Construction, Brunswick GA". www.ShipbuildingHistory.com. 13 October 2010. http://www.shipbuildinghistory.com/shipyards/emergencylarge/jonesbrunswick.htm.
- "Liberty Ships – World War II". http://www.glynngen.com/nautical/glynn/libertyships.htm.
- Maritime Administration. "William B. Woods". Ship History Database Vessel Status Card. U.S. Department of Transportation, Maritime Administration. https://vesselhistory.marad.dot.gov/sh/ShipHistory/Detail/11618.
- Davies, James (May 2004). "Specifications (As-Built)". p. 23. http://www.ww2ships.com/acrobat/us-os-001-f-r00.pdf.
- "SS William B. Woods". http://usmaritimecommission.de/.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|