|SS Walter W. Schwenk|
|Career (United States)|
|Name:||Walter W. Schwenk|
|Namesake:||Walter W. Schwenk|
|Owner:||War Shipping Administration (WSA)|
|Operator:||United States Lines Co.|
|Ordered:||as type (EC2-S-C5) hull, MC hull 3144|
|Builder:||J.A. Jones Construction, Panama City, Florida|
|Laid down:||9 June 1945|
|Launched:||21 July 1945|
|Completed:||22 August 1945|
|Status:||Sold for scrapping, 22 February 1972, removed from fleet, 3 March 1972|
|General characteristics |
|Class & type:||
|Length:||441 ft 6 in (135 m)|
|Beam:||56 ft 10.75 in (17.3419 m)|
|Draft:||27 ft 9.25 in (8.4646 m)|
|Speed:||11.5 knots (21.3 km/h)|
SS Walter W. Schwenk was a Liberty ship built in the United States during World War II. She was named after Walter W. Schwenk, a World War I Navy veteran. Before World War II Schwenk worked with Blake Line, Consolidated Navigation Corporation, and Southgate–Nelson Corporation. In 1940, he joined the US Maritime Commission (MARCOM), and later the War Shipping Administration (WSA), February 1942. On 15 April 1944, he was appointed the Atlantic Coast director of the WSA, responsible for all cargo and ship movement on the East Coast.
She was allocated to United States Lines Co., 22 August 1945. On 24 August 1946, she was placed in the Suisun Bay Reserve Fleet, Suisun Bay, California. On 10 August 1949, she was laid up in the National Defense Reserve Fleet, Mobile, Alabama. She was sold for scrapping, 22 February 1972, to Pinto Island Metals Co., for $36,500. She was withdrawn from the fleet, 3 March 1972.
- "Jones Construction, Panama City FL". www.ShipbuildingHistory.com. 13 October 2010. http://www.shipbuildinghistory.com/shipyards/emergencylarge/jonespanamacity.htm.
- Maritime Administration. "Walter W. Schwenk". Ship History Database Vessel Status Card. U.S. Department of Transportation, Maritime Administration. https://vesselhistory.marad.dot.gov/ShipHistory/Detail/5080.
- Davies, James (May 2004). "Specifications (As-Built)". p. 23. http://www.ww2ships.com/acrobat/us-os-001-f-r00.pdf.
- "SS Walter W. Schwenk". http://usmaritimecommission.de/query.php?datalist=1&typeofquery=Name%20of%20Ship&valueofquery=Walter%20W.Schwenk&code=B3144a.
- "Walter W. Schwenk". The Herald Statesman. Yonkers, New York. 13 March 1945.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|