|SS Ora Ellis|
|Career (United States)|
|Owner:||War Shipping Administration (WSA)|
|Operator:||Polarus Steamship Co., Inc.|
|Ordered:||as type (EC2-S-C5) hull, MC hull 3148|
|Builder:||J.A. Jones Construction, Panama City, Florida|
|Laid down:||23 July 1945|
|Launched:||26 September 1945|
|Completed:||16 October 1945|
|Fate:||Laid up in the, National Defense Reserve Fleet, Mobile, Alabama, 3 January 1947|
|Status:||Sold for commercial use, 8 August 1947|
|Status:||Sold, January 1951|
|Status:||Sold, January 1954|
|Owner:||Coral Cia. Armadora|
|Status:||Grounded and sank, 18 May 1960|
|General characteristics |
|Class & type:||
|Length:||441 ft 6 in (135 m)|
|Beam:||56 ft 10.75 in (17.3419 m)|
|Draft:||27 ft 9.25 in (8.4646 m)|
|Speed:||11.5 knots (21.3 km/h)|
SS Ora Ellis was a Liberty ship built in the United States during World War II. She was named after Ora Ellis, a Merchant marine killed when U-506 torpedoed SS William C. McTarnahan, 35 mi (56 km) east of Ship Shoal Light, Louisiana, 16 May 1942.
She was allocated to Polarus Steamship Co., Inc., on 16 October 1945. On 3 January 1947, she was laid up in the, National Defense Reserve Fleet, Mobile, Alabama. She was sold, on 8 August 1947, to Coral Steamship Corp., for commercial use and renamed Coral Sea. On 18 May 1960, after having been sold to Coral Cia. Armmadora, renamed Andros Coral, and flagged in Liberia, she sank for a total loss when she was grounded in the Chacao Channel, Chile.
- "Jones Construction, Panama City FL". www.ShipbuildingHistory.com. 13 October 2010. http://www.shipbuildinghistory.com/shipyards/emergencylarge/jonespanamacity.htm.
- Maritime Administration. "Ora Ellis". Ship History Database Vessel Status Card. U.S. Department of Transportation, Maritime Administration. https://vesselhistory.marad.dot.gov/ShipHistory/Detail/3700.
- Davies, James (May 2004). "Specifications (As-Built)". p. 23. http://www.ww2ships.com/acrobat/us-os-001-f-r00.pdf.
- "SS Ora Ellis". http://usmaritimecommission.de/query.php?datalist=1&typeofquery=Name%20of%20Ship&valueofquery=Ora%20Ellis&code=B3148a.
- "THE PEOPLE BEHIND THE NAMES". Armed-guard.com. http://www.armed-guard.com/pbtne.html.
- "William C. McTarnahan". UBoat.net. https://uboat.net/allies/merchants/ship/1659.html.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|