|SS Frederic C. Howe|
Unloading Ship In Germany (10446436934).jpg|
Frederic C. Howe
|Career (United States)|
|Name:||Frederic C. Howe|
|Namesake:||Frederic C. Howe|
|Owner:||War Shipping Administration (WSA)|
|Operator:||United Fruit Co.|
|Ordered:||as type (Z-EC2-S-C2) hull, MC hull 1536|
|Builder:||J.A. Jones Construction, Panama City, Florida|
|Laid down:||24 August 1943|
|Launched:||30 October 1943|
|Completed:||6 December 1943|
|Fate:||Laid up in National Defense Reserve Fleet, James River Group, Lee Hall, Virginia, 10 October 1947|
|Status:||Sold for non-transportation use (NTU), 9 June 1972|
|General characteristics |
|Class & type:||type Z-EC2-S-C2, army tank transport|
|Length:||441 ft 6 in (135 m)|
|Beam:||56 ft 10.75 in (17.3419 m)|
|Draft:||27 ft 9.25 in (8.4646 m)|
|Speed:||11.5 knots (21.3 km/h)|
|Capacity:||10,800 long tons deadweight (DWT)|
SS Frederic C. Howe was a Liberty ship built in the United States during World War II. She was named after Frederic C. Howe, a member of the Ohio Senate, Commissioner of Immigration of the Port of New York, and president of the League for Small and Subject Nationalities.
Frederic C. Howe was laid down on 24 August 1943, under a Maritime Commission (MARCOM) contract, MC hull 1536, by J.A. Jones Construction, Panama City, Florida; she was launched on 30 October 1943.
She was allocated to United Fruit Co., on 6 December 1943. On 30 October 1947, she was laid up in the National Defense Reserve Fleet, in the James River Group, Lee Hall, Virginia. On 9 June 1972, she was sold for $38,753.54 to Union Minerals and Alloys Corporation, for non-transportation use (NTU). She was removed from the fleet on 18 August 1972.
- "Jones Construction, Panama City FL". www.ShipbuildingHistory.com. 13 October 2010. http://www.shipbuildinghistory.com/shipyards/emergencylarge/jonespanamacity.htm.
- "Liberty Ships – World War II". http://www.glynngen.com/nautical/glynn/libertyships.htm.
- Maritime Administration. "Frederic C. Howe". Ship History Database Vessel Status Card. U.S. Department of Transportation, Maritime Administration. https://vesselhistory.marad.dot.gov/sh/ShipHistory/Detail/1753.
- Davies, James (May 2004). "Specifications (As-Built)". p. 23. http://www.ww2ships.com/acrobat/us-os-001-f-r00.pdf.
- "SS Frederic C. Howe". http://usmaritimecommission.de/.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|