Empire Cobbett was a 9,811 GRT tanker which was built in 1942 by Furness Shipbuilding Co Ltd, Haverton Hill-on-Tees for the Ministry of War Transport (MoWT). In 1946 she was sold into merchant service and renamed San Wilfrido. She was scrapped in 1959.
She was 483 feet 8 inches (147.42 m) long, with a beam of 68 feet 3 inches (20.80 m) and a depth of 36 feet 1 inch (11.00 m). She had a GRT of 9,811 and a NRT of 5,779.
The ship was propelled by a triple expansion steam engine, which had cylinders of 27 inches (69 cm), 44 inches (110 cm) and 76 inches (190 cm) diameter by 48 inches (120 cm) stroke. The engine was built by Richardsons, Westgart & Co Ltd, Hartlepool.
Empire Cobbett was built for the MoWT, who placed her under the management of Eagle Oil and Shipping Company Ltd, Middlesbrough. Her port of registry was Middlesbrough. The Code Letters BFFN and United Kingdom Official Number 164861 were allocated.
Empire Cobbett was a member of a number of convoys during the Second World War.
- HX 249
Convoy HX 249 sailed from New York City on 23 July 1943 and reached Liverpool on 6 August. Empire Cobbett was bound for Avonmouth, Somerset.
- HX 255
Convoy HX 255 departed New York on 2 September 1943 and arrived at Liverpool on 16 September. Empire Cobbett was bound for Stanlow Refinery, Ellesmere Port.
- HX 313
Convoy HX 313 departed New York on 10 October 1944 and arrived at Liverpool on 24 October 1944. Empire Cobbett was due to have joined this convoy, bound for Milford Haven, Pembrokeshire.
In 1946 Empire Cobbett was sold to Eagle Oil & Shipping Co Ltd, London, who renamed her San Wilfrido and changed her port of registry to London. Her name came from an earlier San Wilfrido, which had been launched for Eagle Oil in 1914 and sunk by a mine that same year.
She served until 1959, arriving on 10 November at Hong Kong for scrapping.
- Mitchell, W.H.; Sawyer, L.A. (1995). The Empire Ships. London, New York, Hamburg, Hong Kong: Lloyd's of London Press Ltd. p. not cited. ISBN 1-85044-275-4.
- "EMPIRE COBBETT". Tees built ships. http://www.teesbuiltships.co.uk/furness/19401969/empirecobbett1942.htm. Retrieved 26 April 2010.
- "LLOYD'S REGISTER, STEAMERS & MOTORSHIPS". Plimsoll Ship Data. http://www.plimsollshipdata.org/pdffile.php?name=42b1005.pdf. Retrieved 26 April 2010.
- "Convoy HX 249". Warsailors. http://www.warsailors.com/convoys/hx249.html. Retrieved 26 April 2010.
- "Convoy HX 255". Warsailors. http://www.warsailors.com/convoys/hx255.html. Retrieved 26 April 2010.
- "Convoy HX 313". Warsailors. http://www.warsailors.com/convoys/hx313.html. Retrieved 26 April 2010.
- "LLOYD'S REGISTER, STEAMERS & MOTORSHIPS". Plimsoll Ship Data. http://www.plimsollshipdata.org/pdffile.php?name=45a1288.pdf. Retrieved 26 April 2010.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|