Rustmästare is a former Swedish rank that literally means the one responsible for the armory.
Rustmästare was originally an underofficer rank and the holder of the rank was responsible for the care of the armory, weponary and ammunition within a company.
Holders of the rank were elevated to Furir.
The rank was reintroduced as the highest rank witin the Underbefäls category.
Holders of the rank were eleveated to Fanjunkare and the rank was removed.
Reform 1972 - Rank inflation phase I
Prior to 1972, military personnel were divided into three categories Underbefäl (non-commissioned officers), Underofficerare (warrant officers) and Officerare (commissioned officers). The reform established a four-career-path system with four categories as described below and carried out major promotions of most personnel below the rank Överstelöjtnant.
The Underbefäl category was split into two categories
- gruppbefäl to include
- plutonsofficerare to include
The Underofficer category was renamed kompaniofficerare to include
The Officer category was renamed regementsofficerare to include
- löjtnant - Löjtnant with less than 3 years of service and former fänrik
- kapten - kapten with less than 11 years of service and former Löjtnant with 3-11 years of service
- major - former kapten and löjtnant with a minimum of 11 years of service
- överstelöjtnant - överstelöjtnant and former major
- higher ranks
Reform 1983 - Rank inflation phase II
All categories were merged into one professional officer category with the lowest rank set to fänrik. Furir, överfurir, sergeant and fanjunkare were removed as a professional ranks. Holders of the rank fanjunkare were promoted to löjtnant and the rest to fänrik.
- The Swedish Armed Forces official website - military ranks (accessed on July 13, 2007) (in Swedish)
- http://www.goarmy.com/about/ranks_and_insignia.jsp USA enlisted ranks
- : 
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|