The Rifleman's Creed (also known as My Rifle and The Creed of the United States Marine) is a part of basic United States Marine Corps doctrine. Major General William H. Rupertus wrote it during World War II, probably in late 1941 or early 1942. All enlisted Marines learn the creed at recruit training and they are expected to live by it. Different, more concise versions of the creed have developed since its early days, but those closest to the original version remain the most widely accepted.
In popular culture
- The Rifleman's Creed is featured in the 1987 film Full Metal Jacket.
- A modified version of the Rifleman's Creed is featured in the 2005 film Jarhead.
- A parody of the Rifleman's Creed is featured in the 2008 Family Guy episode "Baby Not on Board."
- Another parody is in the show Archer. In episode "Dial M for Mother," Cyril is loading this weapon while in the restroom reciting the beginning of The Rifleman's Creed. A scene that mimics the film, Full Metal Jacket.
- In the 2013 video game Sniper Ghost Warrior 2, after the player eliminates Maddox, Anderson says, as he departs when asked if he has someone waiting for him at home, he recited the line "My Rifle is my best friend, it is my life"
- A parody of the Rifleman's Creed is featured briefly in the 2012 Community episode "Introduction to Finality".
- A military-themed quest in the MMORPG World of Warcraft references the Rifleman's Creed in its title "There are many like it."
- In the 2012 video game Halo 4, "This is my Rifle, This is my Gun" is an obtainable achievement within the game.
- Airman's Creed
- Coast Guardsmen's Creed
- Ranger Creed
- Quartermaster Creed
- Sailor's Creed
- Soldier's Creed
- Major General William H. Rupertus. "My Rifle: The Creed of a U.S. Marine". United States Marine Corps. Archived from the original on 2007-03-10. http://web.archive.org/web/20070310183121/http://www.lejeune.usmc.mil/2dmardiv/aabn/Rifleman.htm.
- Major General William H. Rupertus. "My Rifle: The Creed of a U.S. Marine". U.S. Military. About.com. http://usmilitary.about.com/od/marines/l/blriflecreed.htm.
- From Wowhead.com's database http://www.wowhead.com/quest=14479/there-are-many-like-it
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|