|Regiment Carabiniers Prins Boudewijn - Grenadiers|
Ceremonial uniform with Bearskins
|Active||June 27, 1992|
|Part of||Medium Brigade|
Veldtocht 1914 - 1918|
Slag van Belgie 1940
The Regiment Carabiniers Prins Boudewijn – Grenadiers is an infantry regiment in the Land Component of the Belgian Armed Forces. The regiment is a part of the Medium Brigade. This regiment is only Dutch speaking.
The 1st Rifles Regiment was formed on September 27, 1830 during the Belgian Revolution. They were equipped with carbines and received the title of Regiment of Carabiniers in 1850. On July 21, 1930, King Albert I decided that the regiment would bear the title of Regiment Carabiniers Prince Baudouin, in honour of his late brother (not to be confused with the king of the same name) who served within its ranks.
The Grenadier Regiment was founded on May 8, 1837 by King Leopold I. They were stationed in the Caserne Prince Albert, in Brussels near the Royal Palace. Today only the monument to the fallen Grenadiers remains of it. In the Hall of Grenadiers the memorabilia and the portraits of the Royal Officers are still kept.
As a result of cuts to the army after the Cold War, the Regiment Carabiniers Prins Boudewijn was amalgamated with the 1st Grenadier Regiment on June 27, 1992 in order to form the new Regiment Carabiniers Prins Boudewijn – Grenadiers. The unit retained its role of mechanised infantry and was stationed in Leopoldsburg. They take part in missions abroad and still have important ceremonial duties.
Today there are approximately 600 Grenadiers of whom 6 are women.
Historically, the regiment had the distinction of having members of the royal family and nobility within its ranks, including:
Today Prince Amedeo, Archduke of Austria is officer of the Second Regiment of Grenadiers.
The following honours are displayed on the regiment's standard, they are embroided in gold on the Belgian Colours. The current Standard was presented to the Regiment by HM King Albert II in 1994:
- Campaign 1914-1918
- Antwerpen Ijzer
- Steenstraat Westrozebeke
- Passendale Rumbeke
- Battle of Belgium 1940
The Grenadiers perform annually as Guard of Honour at:
- Annual Service for Prince Baudouin, Church of Laeken
- Annual Service at the Royal Palace, presentation of the Kings Colours, 15 November
- 11 November
The grenadiers were also involved in:
- Guard of Honour at the Royal Palace, Wedding of the Duke of Brabant 1999
- State Funeral of Prince Boudouin, Cpt of the Carabiniers
- State Funeral of Queen Elisabeth and Queen Astrid
- State Funeral of King Leopold III
|1st Regiment of Carabiniers||Regiment of Carabiniers||"Price Baudoin" Regiment of Carabiniers||Regiment Carabiniers "Prince Baudoin" - Grenadiers|
|1st Regiment of Grenadiers|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Grenadiers (Belgium).|
- "Regiment Carabiniers Prins Boudewijn - Grenadiers" (in Dutch). Defence Belgium. http://www.mil.be/armycomp/units/index.asp?LAN=nl&FILE=&ID=579&MENU=0&PAGE=1. Retrieved 2007-08-28.
- "Regiment Carabiniers Prins Boudewijn - Grenadiers" (in French). Defence Belgium. http://www.mil.be/armycomp/units/index.asp?LAN=fr&FILE=&ID=579&MENU=0&PAGE=1. Retrieved 2007-08-28.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|