Ranchordas Pagi, also known as Ranchordas Rabari, (1901–2013) worked as a scout on behalf of the Indian Army.
Early life and career
Ranchhod Pagi came from Banaskantha district in Gujarat. He belonged to a family of nomads. He was recruited by the Indian Army.
In one of his most remarkable achievements, Ranchod Pagi traced the location of 1200 enemy soldiers hiding in the wilderness in utter darkness. He also helped the Indian army capture several key posts during the 1965 and 1971 wars with Pakistan. He won several awards including the Sangram Medal, Samar Seva Star and Police Medal. BSF honoured him by naming one of its Banaskantha outposts after him as Ranchhod Post. Pagi passed away in 2013 at the age of 112.
Battle of Kutch
The Pakistani army captured many villages in the Kutch area just before the Indo-Pakistani War of 1965. Pagi went into the captured areas to gather information from both villagers and his own relatives. This greatly assisted the Indian army.
India's Border Security Force (BSF) has named a border outpost after Ranchhod Pagi, who died aged 112 in 2013. His efforts during the wars of 1965 and 1971 are said to have saved thousands of soldiers. He had been honoured by both the police and the BSF. He has received three honours - Sangram Medal, Police Medal and Samar Seva Star - for his role in the 1965 and 1971 wars.
- "1200 पाकिस्तानी सैनिकों पर भारी पड़ गया था यह हिंदुस्तानी हीरो". http://www.bhaskar.com/news/GUJ-RAJ-OMC-bsf-post-on-name-of-ranchoddas-paggi-in-gujarat-pak-border-5018775-PHO.html.
- R. D. Pradhan (2007). 1965 War, the Inside Story: Defence Minister Y.B. Chavan's Diary of India-Pakistan war. p. 23. ISBN 81-269-0762-2. https://books.google.com/books?isbn=8126907622.
- General Harbakhsh Singh, War Despatches: Indo-Pak Conflict, 1965, page 122
- "Unheard story of the 112 year old hero of Indian Army. - KenFolios" (in en-US). 2015-06-21. https://www.kenfolios.com/unheard-story-of-the-112-year-old-hero-of-indian-army/.
- "Ranchhod Rabari: The Grand Old Pagi". The Times of India. 25 May 2014. http://epaper.timesofindia.com/Repository/getFiles.asp?Style=OliveXLib:LowLevelEntityToPrint_TOINEW&Type=text/html&Locale=english-skin-custom&Path=TOIA/2014/05/25&ID=Ar00405. Retrieved 2016-07-27.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|