|Born||May 5, 1920|
|Died||April 30, 1945(aged 24)|
|Place of birth||Huttendorf|
|Place of death||Schwerin|
|Years of service||1938–1945|
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross|
Rainer Nossek (5 May 1920 – 30 April 1945) was a highly decorated Oberleutnant in the Luftwaffe during World War II and a recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross. The Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross was awarded to recognise extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership. During his career he flew 800 missions and was credited with the destruction of 73+ tanks.[Notes 1] Rainer Nossek was killed on 30 April 1945 when the Focke-Wulf Fw 190 he was flying was bounced and shot down by a Royal Air Force Spitfire XIV from 350 Squadron as he was attempting to land near Schwerin. During the same attack, Knight's Cross recipients Andreas Kuffner and Wilhelm Bromen were killed and wounded respectively.
Awards and decorations
- Front Flying Clasp of the Luftwaffe in Gold with Pennant "800"
- Iron Cross (1939)
- 2nd Class
- 1st Class
- German Cross in Gold (12 July 1943)
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross on 29 October 1944 as Fahnenjunker-Feldwebel and pilot in the 10. (Pz)/Schlachtgeschwader 3
- For a list of Luftwaffe ground attack aces see List of German World War II Ground Attack aces
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 267.
- Fellgiebel, Walther-Peer (2000) (in German). Die Träger des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939–1945 – Die Inhaber der höchsten Auszeichnung des Zweiten Weltkrieges aller Wehrmachtsteile [The Bearers of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939–1945 — The Owners of the Highest Award of the Second World War of all Wehrmacht Branches]. Friedberg, Germany: Podzun-Pallas. ISBN 978-3-7909-0284-6.
- Obermaier, Ernst (1976) (in German). Die Ritterkreuzträger der Luftwaffe 1939–1945 Band II Stuka- und Schlachtflieger [The Knight's Cross Bearers of the Luftwaffe 1941 – 1945 Volume II Dive Bomber and Attack Aircraft]. Mainz, Germany: Verlag Dieter Hoffmann. ISBN 978-3-87341-021-3.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007) (in German). Die Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives [The Knight's Cross Bearers 1939–1945 The Holders of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939 by Army, Air Force, Navy, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Allied Forces with Germany According to the Documents of the Federal Archives]. Jena, Germany: Scherzers Miltaer-Verlag. ISBN 978-3-938845-17-2.