|Service/branch||Syrian Armed Forces|
Military Intelligence Directorate |
|Battles/wars||Syrian civil war|
Rafiq Shahadah is a Syrian major general and the head of the Syrian Military Intelligence Directorate.
Shahadah is a major general in the Syrian armed forces, who served as adviser to President Bashar Assad for strategic questions and military intelligence. He was appointed chief of military intelligence in July 2012 and replaced Abdul Fatah Qudsiya who became the deputy director of the National Security Bureau.
On 24 August 2011, the European Union sanctioned Shahada and stated that he was the head of military intelligence's branch 293 which is charged with internal affairs in Damascus. The EU accused him of being "directly involved in repression and violence against the civilian population." The British Treasury also froze his assets along with other Syrian officials on 24 August 2011. The Swiss government sanctioned him in September 2011 based on the reasons given by the EU. Canada also put travel ban on him in October 2011.
- "Bashar Assad's inner circle". 30 July 2012. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-13216195. Retrieved 17 December 2012.
- "Assad reshuffles top security posts after bombing that killed four senior officials". Damascus. 24 July 2012. http://www.timesofisrael.com/assad-reshuffles-top-security-posts-after-bombing-kills-four-top-officials/. Retrieved 17 December 2012.
- "List of natural and legal persons". 19 January 2012. http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2012:016:0001:0032:EN:PDF. Retrieved 9 February 2013.
- "EU releases new Syrian blacklist". 24 August 2011. http://english.ahram.org.eg/NewsContent/2/8/19608/World/Region/EU-releases-new-Syrian-blacklist.aspx. Retrieved 24 February 2013.
- "Council Implementing Decision 2011/515/CFSP of 23 August 2011 implementing Decision 2011/273/CFSP concerning restrictive measures against Syria". EURLex. http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2011:218:0020:01:EN:HTML. Retrieved 17 December 2012.
- "Asset Freeze Targets". HM Treasury. 12 December 2012. http://www.hm-treasury.gov.uk/d/syria.htm. Retrieved 17 December 2012.
- "Ordinance instituting measures against Syria". Federal Department of Economy. http://www.baselgovernance.org/fileadmin/docs/news/09.09.2011.Ordinance__amedment__Syria_ENG.draft.pdf. Retrieved 24 February 2013.
- "Canada Expands Sanctions Against Syria". Government of Canada. http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/syria-syrie/highlights-faits/2011-10-04.aspx?lang=en&view=d. Retrieved 8 January 2013.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|