|Alma mater||Oxford University, London University|
|Occupation||General Practitioner, Historian|
Prit Buttar is a British general practitioner and writer. He has written five books: Battleground Prussia: The Assault on Germany's Eastern Front 1944-45 (2010), Between Giants: The Battle of the Baltics in World War II (2013), Collision of Empires: The War on the Eastern Front in 1914 (2014), Germany Ascendant: The Eastern Front 1915 (2015), and Russia's Last Gasp: The Eastern Front 1916-17 (2016). Currently, Dr. Buttar is a Senior Partner at Abingdon Surgery.
Buttar studied medicine at Oxford University and London University. Buttar served in the British Army as a surgeon and medical officer for five years. He later worked in Bristol as a general practitioner (GP). He currently works as a GP in Abingdon-on-Thames and serves on the GP's Committee of the British Medical Association. He is Chairman of the Oxfordshire Local Medical Committee.
Buttar's first book, Battleground Prussia, was inspired by one of his patients. The 83-year-old patient recalled stories about her life as a nurse in East Prussia and escape from the Prussian army near the end of World War II. Buttar spent 8 years writing the book. His second book, Between Giants, is a study of the Battle for the Baltics in WWII, and explores the experiences of people from Lithuania, Latvia, and Estonia.
His third book, Collision of Empires, is a study of World War I on the Eastern Front. It is the first of a four volume series. Before writing the book, Buttar spent a year studying archives in Berlin, Vienna, and Freiberg. With the help of another historian, the multi-lingual Buttar was able to translate the German archives. The second book of the series, Germany Ascendant: The Eastern Front 1915, was released in 2015.
- Russia's Last Gasp: The Eastern Front 1916-17. 2016. Osprey Publishing. ISBN 147281276X
- Germany Ascendant: The Eastern Front 1915. 2015. Osprey Publishing. ISBN 9781472807953
- Collision of Empires: The War on the Eastern Front in 1914. 2014. Osprey Publishing. ISBN 9781782006480
- Between Giants: The Battle for the Baltics in World War II. 2013. Osprey Publishing. ISBN 9781780961637
- Battleground Prussia: The Assault on Germany's Eastern Front 1944-45. 2010. Osprey Publishing. ISBN 9781849081900
- "3 4 Friday- it's all happening in Abingdon". Mostly Books. 31 May 2013. http://www.mostly-books.co.uk/2013_05_01_archive.html.
- "Dr Prit Buttar". Clinical Options. http://www.clinicaloptions.co.uk/clinician/dr-prit-buttar/.
- Ffrench, Andrew (14 June 2013). "Former army doctor's second book on history of war". The Herald. http://www.heraldseries.co.uk/news/10483391.Former_army_doctor_s_second_book_on_history_of_war/.
- Wilkinson, Ben. "Patient's memories inspire Abingdon GP's book on Battleground Prussia". Oxford Mail. http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/8405084.Patient_s_memories_inspire_Abingdon_GP_s_book_on_Battleground_Prussia/.
- "Collision of Empires". Allen & Unwin Publishers. https://allenandunwin.com/browse/books/general-books/military/Collision-of-Empires-Prit-Buttar-9781472813183.
- "GP examines an overlooked aspect of First World War in new book". The Herald. 16 June 2014. http://www.heraldseries.co.uk/news/hsabingdonnews/11277795.GP_examines_an_overlooked_aspect_of_First_World_War/.
- "German Ascendant: the Eastern Front 1915". Pritzker Military Museum & Library. https://www.pritzkermilitary.org/explore/library/online-catalog/view/oclc/894307292.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|