|Born||March 12, 1958(age 64)|
|Occupation||Chief executive officer, television personality|
Survivor: Redemption Island (runner-up)|
Phillip Sheppard (born March 12, 1958) is a United States Army veteran and the chief executive officer of a software company, who is best known for his appearances on the U.S. reality show Survivor. He is the brother of Rochester, New York, police chief and mayoral candidate James Sheppard.
Sheppard was initially a contestant on Survivor: Redemption Island in 2011. He was a member of the Ometepe Tribe and had a then-record 17 votes cast against him throughout the season. He was unable to pull away with the victory however, receiving only a single vote at the final tribal council He told TV Guide that he played with hope and suspected that he would get the jury vote from almost everybody. Many jurors have admitted in their post-game interviews that they would have likely voted for Phillip to win had he admitted his behavior and actions were all a part of a strategy to get taken to the end by Rob.
Sheppard insisted throughout the show that he was a former federal agent, but fellow participants such as former NFL player Steve Wright doubted Sheppard's claims. At the finale, Jeff Probst spoke to a woman in the audience who claimed to have known Sheppard from her federal agent training.
Sheppard was also a cast member on Survivor: Caramoan, in 2013. The theme for this season was ten new contestants (labeled "Fans") and ten returning contestants (labeled "Favorites") facing off for the million dollar prize, a format previously used during Survivor: Micronesia. Being a returning player, Sheppard was cast as a ‘Favorite’ and was placed on the Bikal tribe. He was voted out on Day 28, and became the second member of the jury.
At the first Tribal Council he claimed that he didn't, per se, mispronounce Francesca Hogi's first name during Redemption Island, instead he chose to do so on purpose rather than using expletives. He was one of six players who voted out Hogi, making her the first ever contestant on an American reality competition show to be voted out first in two different seasons. After being voted out, Hogi told Zap2it that Sheppard "is still a crazy person" stating that she doesn't "know where he came from or how he functions in the world. It's fascinating, actually." By the end of the second episode, he had already begun putting into place his "BR rules" based on the game play of Redemption Island winner Rob Mariano and recruited a new Stealth R Us with code names for members of his alliance. However, Stealth R Us was one of a number of things that fellow contestant Brandon Hantz claimed to be frustrated about, and Hantz had one of the biggest meltdowns in the show's history after a disagreement with Sheppard. Because of the conflict, an impromptu tribal council was held at the immunity challenge. Hantz voted against Sheppard, but Sheppard and the rest of the tribe voted Hantz out of the game.
The tribes were re-arranged a day later with castaways cracking eggs filled with either orange or purple paint. Sheppard's egg had purple paint so he remained on the Bikal Tribe. He had already put into effect "Operation Thunder Dome", which was a plan to eliminate contestant Corinne Kaplan. His plan came through when Kaplan was voted out at the merged tribe's first Tribal Council. He then adopted season "Fan" Sherri Biethman into Stealth R Us. Eventually, he was so confident in his strategy, he chose not to compete in one immunity challenge, claiming it to be because of a childhood incident. In the Tribal Council immediately following, he was voted out when Malcolm Freberg, Eddie Fox, and Reynold Toepfer made Survivor history by combining two hidden immunity idols with a challenge win to make all members of their alliance (dubbed "The Three Amigos") immune and have all of the votes cast against them negated. At the end of the game, Sheppard voted for John Cochran to be the Sole Survivor, a unanimous decision by the jury.
After being voted out of Survivor: Caramoan, he appeared on Survivor Live.
Sheppard is the inspiration for, and persona in, the 2013 novel The Specialist: The Costa Rica Job, written in collaboration with his brother, Charles P. Sheppard, Author. The book became available on February 12, 2013, and features a James Bond-like former federal agent working a job in Costa Rica. Phillip Sheppard himself has also written a sci-fi novel, entitled The Legend of Things Past, which became available in 2015.
- Survivor: Redemption Island
- Survivor: Caramoan
- "'Survivor: Redemption Island:' Phillip says 'I played a brilliant ruse on everybody'; plans to be become an actor". Entertainment Weekly. http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/05/16/survivor-redemption-island-phillip-sheppard-federal-agent/.
- Survivor Cast: Phillip - CBS.com Retrieved January 2013
- Police Chief James Sheppard Interview on the Brother Wease Show
- Simmons, Bruce. "Survivor's Phillip Sheppard Was A "Special Agent!" See How I Found Out!". Cinema Static. http://www.cinemastatic.org/2013/03/survivors-phillip-sheppard-was-special.html.
- Survivor Runner-Up Phillip: I Didn't Get the Respect I Earned Retrieved January 2013
- Survivor: Redemption Island Castoff Strikes Back at "Crazy" Phillip Retrieved January 2013
- 'Survivor: Redemption Island' Finale Answers the Question - is Phillip Sheppard Really a Former Federal Agent? Archived 2013-02-17 at Archive.is Yahoo! Voices Retrieved January 2013
- Survivor: Caramoan - Episode 1 Recap
- 'Survivor: Caramoan -- Fans vs. Favorites' castaway Francesca Hogi voted out first -- again
- 'Survivor: Caramoan's' Francesca Hogi: Phillip is 'still a crazy person'
- "'Survivor: Caramoan' Episode Recap: The Eliminator or the Eliminated?". http://xfinity.comcast.net/blogs/tv/2013/02/13/survivor-caramoan-episode-recap-the-eliminator-or-the-eliminated/.
- 'Survivor: Caramoan': Brandon Hantz has the show's biggest meltdown ever
- 'Survivor' recap: Reshuffling the Deck
- InsideTV Podcast: Corinne from 'Survivor' compares Phillip to a handicapped child and calls him 'the living miscarriage' Retrieved April 2013
- "'Survivor: Caramoan' Episode Recap: Love, Caramoan Style". http://xfinity.comcast.net/blogs/tv/2013/04/10/survivor-caramoan-episode-recap-love-caramoan-style/.
- Stephen Fishbach Blogs: How Survivor's 'Three Amigos' Took Out Their Boss
- Survivor: Caramoan Winner Revealed: John Cochran Wins $1 Million
- The Caramoan Job (Show #10)
- Phillip Sheppard Is “The Specialist” in New Book
- 'Survivor: Caramoan': Returning Favorite Phillip Sheppard promises 'something unique in my undergarments as well as my shoes'
- Henry, Devon. "'Survivor' Fan Favorite, Phillip Sheppard, Releases Sci-Fi Thriller". CultureMass Media, Inc.. http://culturemass.com/2015/04/29/survivor-fan-favorite-phillip-sheppard-releases-sci-fi-thriller/.
- P on Twitter
- Official e-commerce site for The Specialist Autograph Novel
- Official company website
- Official Survivor: Redemption Island bio at CBS.com
- Official Survivor: Caramoan bio at CBS.com
|Runner-Up of Survivor
Survivor: Redemption Island
Benjamin “Coach” Wade
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|