|Philippine Coast Guard Auxiliary|
Kapanalig ng Tanod Baybayin ng Pilipinas
Auxiliaria de Guardia Costera del Filipinas
File:Philippine Coast Guard Auxiliary Unit Seal.jpg|
Coat of Arms of the Philippine Coast Guard Auxiliary
|Founded||February 9, 1972|
|Type||File:Philippine Coast Guard Auxiliary Unit Seal.jpg Coast Guard Auxiliary|
|Role||Maritime Safety, Maritime Search & Rescue, Maritime Environmental Protection, Maritime Community Relations|
|Size||1000+ Auxiliary Officers and Auxiliarists|
|Part of||Philippine Coast Guard|
|Garrison/HQ||Bay Terminal, CCP Complex, Pasay|
|Motto(s)||"Assisting the Philippine Coast Guard in promoting safety of life and property at sea, protection of the marine environment, and other humanitarian activities."|
Philippine Coast Guard Commandant Unit Citation Streamer
|National Auxiliary Director||VADM BEETHOVEN N. SUR, PCGA|
The Philippine Coast Guard Auxiliary (PCGA) (Filipino: Kapanalig ng Tanod Baybayin ng Pilipinas) is a maritime non-government organization operating under the Department of Transportation and Communications of the Philippines specifically under the Philippine Coast Guard.
The PCGA is involved in the assisted enforcement of maritime laws in the country, especially the promotion of Maritime Safety. It is also involved in maritime search and rescue (SAR) missions, as well as the protection of the marine environment. It maintains a presence throughout the archipelago, with 12 Coast Guard Auxiliary districts.
The new Philippine Coast Guard Act of 2009, otherwise known as Republic Act 9993, legalized the existence of the PCGA as a full partner agency operating under the Philippine Coast Guard.
Administrative and Operational control of the PCGA fall under the Commandant of the Coast Guard through the Vice Commandant for Operations.
As a Coast Guard Reserve Force
Since the separation of the Philippine Coast Guard from the Philippine Navy, it technically lost its access to the vast pool of reservists that the Navy have in its control.
Due to the lack of a stable reserve force, the Philippine Coast Guard activates some of the Auxiliarists of the PCGA to serve positions and functions within the institution which is usually filled out by members of the Reserve Force in the Philippine Military.
The PCGA ably assists the Philippine Coast Guard in developing Aids to Navigation. It provides a handful of officers to assist with Port Security and Port State Control tasks. It is currently assigned to the Philippine Coast Guard by the new Coast Guard Law of 2009.
Maritime Search & Rescue
With a variety of skilled individuals at its disposal, including medical and engineering professionals, the PCGA can respond to various types of emergencies. Whether by water, land, and air, the PCGA has assets readily available for the use of its members or when requested by the Philippine Coast Guard to assist ongoing rescue operations.
Marine Environmental Protection
As an auxiliary unit of the Philippine Coast Guard, the PCGA is mandated to conduct and promote Environmental Protection and Awareness. In complying with the mandate, the PCGA has conducted various clean-up operations, mangrove reforestation, marine life preservation operations in various coastal regions in the Philippines.
Maritime Community Relations
The PCGA ably assists the Philippine Coast Guard in building strong relationships, particularly with coastal communities, to further strengthen the bond between them, as well as to further involve the communities with the mission task of the Philippine Coast Guard in promoting safer ships, safekeeping properties, and establishing a safer life at sea. Youth development in the form of Sea Scouts, established together with the Boy & Girl Scouts of the Philippines, is one of the primary projects of the PCG and PCGA.
The current PCGA organizational setup is divided into four (4) line-command groups and four (4) Support Command Groups
Command and Line Group
- National Auxiliary Main Office
- Coast Guard Auxiliary District
- Coast Guard Auxiliary Squadron
- Coast Guard Auxiliary Division
- Maritime Safety Support Group (MARSAF)
- Maritime Search & Rescue Support Group (MARSAR)
- Marine Environmental ProtectionSupport Group (MAREP)
- Maritime Community Relations Support Group (MCOMREL)
Coast Guard Auxiliary Districts
With the organizational restructuring made by the Philippine Coast Guard on the current number of CG Districts, the PCGA readjusted the Auxiliary Districts and realigned it with the current CG District Organizational Structure.
Currently there are 12 Philippine Coast Guard Auxiliary Districts namely:
- Coast Guard Auxiliary District National Capital Region-Central Luzon (CGAD NCR-CL)
- Coast Guard Auxiliary District North Eastern Luzon (CGAD NELZN)
- Coast Guard Auxiliary District North Western Luzon (CGAD NWLZN)
- Coast Guard Auxiliary District Southern Tagalog (CGAD ST)
- Coast Guard Auxiliary District Bicol (CGAD BCL)
- Coast Guard Auxiliary District Palawan (CGAD PAL)
- Coast Guard Auxiliary District Eastern Visayas (CGAD EV)
- Coast Guard Auxiliary District Western Visayas (CGAD WV)
- Coast Guard Auxiliary District Central Visayas (CGAD CV)
- Coast Guard Auxiliary District Northern Mindanao (CGAD NM)
- Coast Guard Auxiliary District South Eastern Mindanao (CGAD SEM)
- Coast Guard Auxiliary District South Western Mindanao (CGAD SWM)
Coast Guard Auxiliary Commissioned Officer and NCO Ranks
Unlike the United States Coast Guard Auxiliary, the PCGA being a paramilitary organization uses the ranks and insignia of the Philippine Coast Guard. This establishes communal respect and seniority lineage among its members.
However, unlike the regular Coast Guard, only 4 enlisted ranks are used.
- Vice-Admiral / (VADM)
- Rear Admiral / (RADM)
- Commodore / (COMMO)
- Captain / (CAPT)
- Commander / (CDR)
- Lieutenant Commander / (LCDR)
- Lieutenant / (LT)
- Lieutenant Junior Grade / (LTJG)
- Ensign (ENS)
- Auxiliarist First Class (AUX1)
- Auxiliarist Second Class (AUX2)
- Auxiliarist Third Class (AUX3)
- Auxiliarist Fourth Class (AUX4)
Former Rank Insignia of the Coast Guard Auxiliary
- Lieutenant Senior Grade / (LTSG)
- Master Chief Petty Officer / (MCPO)
- Senior Chief Petty Officer / (SCPO)
- Petty Officer First Class / (PO1)
- Petty Officer Second Class/ (PO2)
- Petty Officer Third Class / (PO3)
- Seaman First Class / (SN1)
- Seaman Second Class / (SN2)
- Seaman / (SMN)
Coast Guard Auxiliary Awards and Decorations
- Coast Guard Auxiliary Outstanding Achievement Medal
- Coast Guard Auxiliary Distinguished Service Medal
- Coast Guard Auxiliary Merit Medal
- Coast Guard Auxiliary Search and Rescue Medal
- Coast Guard Auxiliary Commendation Medal
- Coast Guard Auxiliary Civic-Action Medal
- Coast Guard Auxiliary Red Cross Medal
- Coast Guard Auxiliary Good Conduct Medal
PCGA Service Medals & Ribbons
- Coast Guard Auxiliary Long Service Medal
- Coast Guard Auxiliary Anti-Marine Pollution Campaign Medal
- Coast Guard Auxiliary Disaster Relief and Rehabilitation Operations Medal
- Coast Guard Auxiliary National Convention Medal
- Coast Guard Auxiliary International Convention Medal
- Coast Guard Auxiliary World Clean-up Day Campaign Medal
PCGA Unit Decorations
- Philippine Republic Presidential Unit Citation Badge
- Coast Guard Auxiliary Command Badge
- Dolphin Service Recognition Plaque
Other Forms of Awards
- Letter of Commendation
- Certificate of Commendation
- Certificate of Appreciation
- Certificate of Recognition
Coast Guard Auxiliary Uniforms
The PCGA officers and members have the distinction and privilege of wearing uniforms, the designs of which are based on PCG uniforms converted for the Auxiliary. Having descended from a military heritage, the uniforms are steeped in tradition and should be worn properly, proudly, in accordance with the dignity of the office it represents.
General Office Uniforms
- Service Dress Blue (Alpha)
- Service Dress Blue (Bravo)
Formal Dress Uniforms
- Officer's Mess Uniform
- Working Blue
- Search & Rescue (SAR) Uniform
Coast Guard Auxiliary National Directors
- VADM JOSELITO C ASENIERO PCGA - (2002–2008)
- VADM EDUARDO R ALVAREZ PCGA - (2008–2010)
- VADM HIGINIO C MENDOZA JR PCGA - (2010–2012)
- VADM DANILO G CABALDE PCGA - (2012-PRESENT)
- VADM DANILO G CABALDE PCGA
- Philippine Coast Guard Auxiliary. (2012). PCGA Manual. Manila: Philippine Coast Guard Auxiliary.
- Philippine Coast Guard. (2009). RA 9993 also known as The Philippine Coast Guard Act. Manila: Senate of the Philippines
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|