HMS Phoenix, 1939
|Preceded by:||Odin-class submarine|
|Succeeded by:||Rainbow-class submarine|
|General characteristics |
1,760 long tons (1,790 t) surfaced|
2,040 long tons (2,070 t) submerged
|Length:||289 ft (88 m)|
|Beam:||30 ft (9.1 m)|
|Draught:||16 ft (4.9 m)|
2 × Admiralty diesel engines, 4,640 hp
2 × electric motors, 1,635 hp
17.5 knots (20.1 mph; 32.4 km/h) surfaced |
8.6 kn (9.9 mph; 15.9 km/h) submerged
The Parthian class submarine or P class was a class of six submarines built for the Royal Navy in the late 1920s. They were designed as long-range patrol submarines for the Far East. These ships were almost identical to the Odin class, the only difference being a different bow shape.
|Pandora (ex-Python)||Vickers, Barrow||22 August 1929||Sunk by Italian aircraft in harbour at Valletta, Malta 1 April 1942. Raised in September 1943, but not repaired. Hulk scrapped in 1955.|
|Parthian||Chatham Dockyard||22 June 1929||Lost between 6 August and 11 August 1943 in the Adriatic. Presumed mined.|
|Perseus||Vickers, Barrow||22 May 1929||Most likely to have been Mined in the Ionian Sea between the islands of Kefallonia and Zakynthos off the west coast of Greece, 6 December 1941.|
|Phoenix||Cammell Laird||3 October 1929||Presumed sunk on 16 July 1940 in depth charge attack by the Italian torpedo boat Albatros off the coast of Sicily.|
|Poseidon||Vickers, Barrow||21 June 1929||Sank in accidental collision with a merchant steamer on 9 June 1931.|
|Proteus||Vickers, Barrow||23 July 1929||Scrapped in March 1946 at Troon.|
- Conway's All the World's Fighting Ships
- "Parthian class submarine". Battleships-cruisers.co.uk. http://www.battleships-cruisers.co.uk/parthian.htm. Retrieved 2006-12-02.
- "Parthian class". BritSub. http://www.britsub.net/html/parthian_class.htm. Retrieved 2006-12-02.
- "HMS Pandora". Uboat.net. http://uboat.net/allies/warships/ship/3404.html. Retrieved 2006-12-02.
- "Submarine losses 1904 to present day". Royal Navy Submarine Museum. Archived from the original on 2006-08-16. http://web.archive.org/web/20060816011925/http://www.rnsubmus.co.uk/general/losses.htm#pandora. Retrieved 2006-12-02.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Parthian class submarine.|
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|