|Jacobabad Airbase / Airbase|
|IATA: JAG – ICAO: OPJA|
|Airport type||Military / Public|
|Operator||Pakistan Air Force (PAF)|
|Serves||Jacobabad, Sindh, Pakistan|
|Occupants||Pakistan Air Force|
|Elevation AMSL||185 ft / 56 m|
PAF Base Shahbaz (IATA: JAG, ICAO: OPJA) is located at Jacobabad, in the Sindh province of Pakistan. It is a military base operated by the Pakistan Air Force as well as a civilian airport.
Used as a base for drones operated by the United States during the War in Afghanistan beginning in 2001, PAF's AVM Arshad Quddus states that Shahbaz Air Force Base is now under the PAF control: "The Shahbaz Airbase is under complete operational control of the PAF. If you see any American let me know....Seeing is believing...there are no drones and no Americans." Nevertheless armed CIA drones still have permission to operate from here and American military or Lockheed-Martin contract personnel are present as the PAF takes ownership of 18 new F-16's and works to bring these aircraft up to operational capability.
- Airport information for OPJA at World Aero Data. Data current as of October 2006.Source: DAFIF.
- Airport information for JAG at Great Circle Mapper. Source: DAFIF (effective Oct. 2006).
- "PAF says Shahbaz airbase under its control". Dawn.com. http://www.dawn.com/wps/wcm/connect/dawn-content-library/dawn/the-newspaper/national/paf-says-shahbaz-airbase-under-its-control-080. Retrieved 2012-10-20.
- "CIA drones quit one Pakistan site – but US keeps access to other airbases". The Bureau of Investigative Journalism. http://www.thebureauinvestigates.com/2011/12/15/cia-drones-quit-pakistan-site-but-us-keeps-access-to-other-airbases/. Retrieved 24 March 2013.
- "South Asia | US defends Pakistan F-16 jet deal". BBC News. 2005-03-26. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/4384597.stm. Retrieved 2012-10-20.
- "Pak gets three upgraded F-16 jets - Rediff.com India News". News.rediff.com. 2010-06-26. http://news.rediff.com/interview/2010/jun/26/pak-gets-three-upgraded-f16-fighter-planes.htm. Retrieved 2012-10-20.
- United States embassy press release on the base
- Shahbaz Air Base, Jacobabad, Pakistan at GlobalSecurity.org
- Accident history for JAG at Aviation Safety Network
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|