|127/64 Lightweight Naval Gun Mount|
|Barrel length||320 inches (810 cm)|
|Shell||127 millimetres (5.0 in)|
|Shell weight||29 kilograms (64 lb) to 31 kilograms (68 lb)|
|Rate of fire||35 rpm|
|Muzzle velocity||808 metres per second (2,650 ft/s)|
|Effective range||30,000 metres (33,000 yd)|
|Maximum range||120 kilometres (75 mi)|
|Hi-res image of Oto Melara 127/64|
|Publicity shot of the Oto Melara 127/64|
The upcoming Oto Melara 127/64 Lightweight (LW) naval gun mount is a rapid fire gun mount suitable for installation on large and medium size ships, intended for surface fire and naval gunfire support as main role and anti-aircraft fire as secondary role. The compactness of the gun feeding system makes possible the installation on narrow section crafts.
The gun can fire all standard 5 inch ammunition including the new Vulcano long range guided ammunition.
Modular automatic feeding magazines allow the firing of up to four different and immediately selectable types of ammunition; the magazines (four drums, each with one shell ready to fire) can be reloaded while the mount is in operation.
An ammunition manipulator system is available to transport projectiles and propelling charges from the main ammunition store to the feeding magazines, which are automatically reloaded. Ammunition flow is reversible. Rounds can be automatically unloaded from the gun. Digital and Analog interfaces are available for any Combat Management System, also according to Corba protocol.
The 127/64 LW naval gun mounts includes a Vulcano module, which acts twofold:
- Programmer for ammunition's fuse and guidance system
- Mission Planning and Execution for Naval Fire Support Action (firing solutions, selection of ammunition, definition of trajectories and firing sequences, ballistic computations accounting for ammunition type, etc.), as a standalone or in interaction with ship's Network Centric System
- German Navy: F125 class frigate (5 127/64 LW ordered)
- Marina Militare: FREMM GP class frigate (1 127/64 LW in service + 3 ordered + 2 programmed)
- Algeria: MEKO A200 class frigate (2 127/64 LW)
- Indian Navy: Project 17A-class frigate & Kolkata-class destroyer
- Information sheet on Oto Melara website
- Oto Melara Introduces Vulcano 76mm Derivative Defense-Update
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|