|Operation Planet X|
|Part of The War on Terrorism,|
Operation Iraqi Freedom
During Operation Iraqi Freedom, Operation Planet X was a US Army mechanized raid conducted on a village near Ad Dawr and Al Dur, 11 miles (18 km) north of Tikrit on the night of 15 May 2003 by elements of the 1st Brigade Combat Team, U.S. 4th Infantry Division and Task Force Ironhorse in search of Ba'ath party members and militants. The name of the operation may have been inspired by the cartoon Duck Dodgers in the 24½th Century. As a result of this effort a key member of the former regime, Gen. Mahdi Al-Duri Al-Tikrit Adil Abdallah was captured along with 260 other prisoners, his bodyguards and members of his family.
Military Units Involved
- US forces reported to be involved were
- 1st Brigade Combat Team, U.S. 4th Infantry Division
- Task Force Ironhorse
- 1st Squadron, 11th Armored Cavalry Regiment
- Iraqi Units involved
- 4th Battalion, 1st Iraqi Army
- 2nd Battalion, 3rd Iraqi Army
No US, Coalition or Iraqi casualties or deaths were reported during the operation.
- Statistics source: GlobalSecurity.org: Operation Planet X
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|