|Test site||Nevada Test Site|
|Period||October - November 1951|
|Number of tests||7|
|Max. yield||31 kt|
|Previous test||Operation Greenhouse|
|Next test||Operation Tumbler-Snapper|
Operation Buster-Jangle was a series of seven (six atmospheric, one cratering) nuclear weapons tests conducted by the United States in late 1951 at the Nevada Test Site. Buster-Jangle was the first joint test program between the DOD (Operation Buster) and Los Alamos National Laboratories (Operation Jangle). As part of Operation Buster, 6,500 troops were involved in the Operation Desert Rock I, II, and III exercises in conjunction with the tests. The last two tests, Operation Jangle, evaluated the cratering effects of low-yield nuclear devices. This series preceded Operation Tumbler-Snapper and followed Operation Greenhouse.
|Name||Date, Time (UT)||Location||Yield||Notes|
|Able||October 22, 1951, 14:00:00||NTS Area 7, 30m tower||"less than one pound" yield||First attempted firing on October 19 failed due to wiring problem; Mark 6;|
fizzle; nuclear reaction occurred but nuclear yield smaller than yield of compression charges.
|Baker||October 28, 1951, 15:20:08.9||NTS Area 7, 340m altitude||3.5 kilotons||Mark 4; B-50 free airdrop.|
|Charlie||October 30, 1951, 15:00:29.8||NTS Area 7, 350m altitude||14 kilotons||Mark 4; B-50 free airdrop.|
|Dog||1 November 1951 15:30:01.6||NTS Area 7, 430m altitude||21 kilotons||Mark 4; B-50 free airdrop; Desert Rock I.|
|Easy||5 November 1951 16:29:58.2||NTS Area 7, 400m altitude||31 kilotons||TX-7E; B-45 free airdrop.|
|Sugar||19 November 1951 16:59:59.7||NTS Area 9||1.2 kilotons||Mark 6; surface burst; Desert Rock II.|
|Uncle||29 November 1951 19:59:59.7||NTS Area 10, -10m altitude||1.2 kilotons||Mark 6; sub-surface burst; Desert Rock III.|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Operation Buster-Jangle.|
- "Probing the earth with nuclear explosions". 1961. pp. 237–258. http://www.agu.org/journals/ABS/1961/JZ066i001p00237.shtml.
- "United States Nuclear Tests: July 1945 through September 1992 (Revision 15)". Department of Energy, Nevada Operations Office. December 2000. http://www.nv.doe.gov/library/publications/historical/DOENV_209_REV15.pdf. Retrieved 2013-10-26.
- "CMR Nuclear Explosion Database (Revision 3)". SMDC Monitoring Research. August 2000. http://www.rdss.info/database/nucex/report/explosion.pdf. Retrieved 2013-10-26.
- Hansen, Chuck (1995). The Swords of Armageddon, Vol. 8. Chukelea Publications (Sunnyvale, CA).
- The short film Nuclear Test Film - Operation Ranger, Operation Buster/Jangle (1951) is available for free download at the Internet Archive [more]
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|