Ole Andreas Halvorsen|
1960/1961 (age 60–61)
|Residence||Darien, Connecticut, U.S.|
|Occupation||hedge fund manager|
|Known for||Founding and CEO, Viking Global Investors|
|Net worth||US$3.7 billion (January 2019)|
Ole Andreas Halvorsen (born 1961) is a Norwegian-born billionaire hedge fund manager. He is the CEO and a co-founder of the Connecticut-based hedge fund, Viking Global Investors. Viking had $24 billion under management as of October, 2017. Halvorsen has consistently ranked among the top earning hedge fund managers, placing 11th in Forbes' 2012 rankings and 9th in 2015, according to Institutional Investor's Alpha.
Halvorsen is a protégé of hedge fund manager Julian Robertson.
Early life and education
Halvorsen was born in Norway in 1961. He graduated from the Norwegian Naval Academy and then served as a leader of a Norwegian SEAL team. Halvorsen attended Williams College, where he was a member of the ski team, and graduated in 1986 with a degree in economics. He went on to receive his MBA from the Stanford University Graduate School of Business in 1990. At Stanford, he received the Alexander A. Robichek Student Achievement Award in Finance and was an Arjay Miller Scholar. Halvorsen is now on Williams' Board of Trustees.
Halvorsen worked in the investment banking division of Morgan Stanley after finishing his studies. Then he moved to Tiger Management Corp, where he was a senior managing director, as well as an analyst and director of equities, and a member of the management committee. He sat on Tiger's advisory board, and on the supervisory board of the firm's largest fund, Jaguar Fund N.V. In 1999, Halvorsen left Tiger to co-found Viking Global Investors, an investment firm managing in excess of $30 billion capital, of which he is currently the CEO, alongside David Ott and Brian Olson. Halvorsen, Ott, and Olson are part of the group known as "Tiger Cubs," former employees of Julian Robertson's Tiger Management Corporation now working as hedge fund managers on their own. Viking Global's main operations cover public equity and hedge funds on the international market.
Halvorsen is on the board of trustees of the Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute located in Williamstown, Massachusetts, and the board of Williams College.
Previously, Halvorsen has been a trustee of Greenwich Academy, a board member of Right To Play USA, and sat on the advisory council of the Stanford Graduate School of Business.
- "#663 Andreas Halvorsen". Forbes. https://www.forbes.com/profile/andreas-halvorsen/. Retrieved 1 January 2019.
- "SMART MONEY PROFILE-Viking's Halvorsen a top tiger cub". Reuters. March 1, 2010. https://www.reuters.com/article/2010/03/01/smartmoney-viking-idUSN2611549220100301.
- "Executive Profile: O. Andreas Halvorsen," Bloomberg BusinessWeek
- Billionaire Andreas Halvorsen's Viking Global Hedge Fund Will Return $8 Billion After CIO Departure Forbes, 2017
- "Andreas Halvorsen, Rank: 11 (tie)," Forbes, March 1, 2012
- "The Rich List," Institutional Investor's Alpha
- "How The 10 Richest Hedge Fund Managers Got That Way," The Wall Street Journal, April 16, 2008
- "The Tiger and His Cubs," New York Times, July 30, 2012
- Pressman, Aaron (March 1, 2010). "Viking's Halvorsen a Top Tiger Cub". Reuters. https://www.reuters.com/article/2010/03/01/us-smartmoney-viking-analysis-idUSTRE6203R020100301.
- "Global Conference 2011 Speaker: Andreas Halvorsen". http://www.milkeninstitute.org/events/conferences/global-conference/2011/speaker-detail/6183. Retrieved 2016-01-05.
- Office of the President: Board of Trustees, Williams.edu
- "Andreas Halvorsen: Viking Global". Value Walk. http://www.valuewalk.com/andreas-halvorsen-viking-global/.
- "Viking Global Investors", Street Insider. Accessed 29 OCtober 2105.
- "Overview", Viking Global. Accessed 29 October 2015.
- "Opalesque Exclusive: Julian Robertson reveals what makes a good hedge fund manager on Opalesque TV - Opalesque". http://www.opalesque.com/IndustryUpdates/506/Julian_Robertson_reveals_what_makes_a_good506.html. Retrieved 2016-01-05.
- "Company Overview of Viking Global Investors L.P.", Bloomberg. Accessed 29 October 2015.
- "40 at 40 | Features | Spring 2014 | Williams Magazine". http://magazine.williams.edu/2014/spring/feature/40-at-40/. Retrieved 2016-01-05.
- "Clark Art - Board of Trustees". http://www.clarkart.edu/About/Press-Room/Press-Releases/2015/Board-of-Trustees. Retrieved 2016-01-05.
- "Andreas Halvorsen and Viking Global’s New Stock Picks," Insider Monkey, February 13, 2011
- "Viking Global Steered Through 2008’s Gloom," DealBook, New York Times, February 13, 2009
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|