|No. 639 Squadron RAF|
|Active||1 December 1943 – 30 April 1945|
|Branch||Royal Air Force|
|Role||anti aircraft co-operation|
|Part of||No. 70 Group RAF, Fighter Command|
|Squadron Codes||R9 (Dec 1943 – Apr 1945)|
The squadron was formed at RAF Cleave on 1 December 1943, from 1602 Flight, 1603 Flight, 1604 Flight and 1618 Flight for anti-aircraft co-operation duties with the Hawker Henley. The main role was to provide target towing duties over Cornwall. In addition the Hawker Hurricane was used as a radar target and to fly low-level simulated attacks on troops. The squadron was disbanded on 30 April 1945.
|December 1943||April 1945||Hawker Henley||Mk.III|
|August 1944||April 1945||Hawker Hurricane||Mks.IIc, IV|
|1 December 1943||30 April 1945||RAF Cleave, Cornwall||Dets. at RAF Portreath, Cornwall and RAF Perranporth, Cornwall|
- Delve, Ken. The Source Book of the RAF. Shrewsbury, Shropshire, UK: Airlife Publishing Ltd., 1994. ISBN 1-85310-451-5.
- Flintham, Vic and Andrew Thomas. Combat Codes: A full explanation and listing of British, Commonwealth and Allied air force unit codes since 1938. Shrewsbury, Shropshire, UK: Airlife Publishing Ltd., 2003. ISBN 1-84037-281-8.
- Halley, James J. The Squadrons of the Royal Air Force & Commonwealth 1918–1988. Tonbridge, Kent, UK: Air Britain (Historians) Ltd., 1988. ISBN 0-85130-164-9.
- Jefford, Wing Commander C.G., MBE,BA,RAF (Retd). RAF Squadrons, a Comprehensive Record of the Movement and Equipment of all RAF Squadrons and their Antecedents since 1912. Shrewsbury, Shropshire, UK: Airlife Publishing, 2001. ISBN 1-84037-141-2.
- Rawlings, John D.R. Coastal, Support and Special Squadrons of the RAF and their Aircraft. London: Jane's Publishing Company Ltd., 1982. ISBN 0-7106-0187-5.
- Sturtivant, Ray, ISO and John Hamlin. RAF Flying Training And Support Units since 1912. Tonbridge, Kent, UK: Air-Britain (Historians) Ltd., 2007. ISBN 0-85130-365-X.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|