|No. 516 Squadron RAF|
|Active||28 April 1943 – 2 December 1944|
|Branch||Royal Air Force|
|Part of||No. 105 (Combined Operations) Wing RAF|
|Squadron Codes||No codes are known to have been carried between Apr 1943 and Dec 1944|
No. 516 Squadron was formed on 28 April 1943 at RAF Dundonald from 1441 (Combined Operations) Flight on 28 April 1943. Its role was to provide realistic training facilities to both combined operations training units in the Western Scotland area. It operated a large variety of aircraft with the unusual task to provide realistic low-level attacks against commando and assault troops undergoing training. The work involved detaching aircraft near the troop training areas including RAF Ayr and RAF Haverfordwest. By 1944 the training of commando and assault troops was on the decline and the squadron was disbanded at Dundonald on the 2 December 1944.
|April 1943||December 1943||Westland Lysander||Mks.II, IIIa|
|April 1943||February 1944||North American Mustang||Mk.I|
|April 1943||December 1944||Avro Anson||Mk.I|
|May 1943||December 1944||Bristol Blenheim||Mk.IV|
|December 1943||December 1944||Hawker Hurricane||Mks.IIb, IIc|
- Bowyer, Michael J.F. and John D.R. Rawlings. Squadron Codes, 1937–56. Cambridge, UK: Patrick Stephens Ltd., 1979. ISBN 0-85059-364-6.
- Flintham, Vic and Andrew Thomas. Combat Codes: A full explanation and listing of British, Commonwealth and Allied air force unit codes since 1938. Shrewsbury, Shropshire, UK: Airlife Publishing Ltd., 2003. ISBN 1-84037-281-8.
- Halley, James J. The Squadrons of the Royal Air Force & Commonwealth, 1981–1988. Tonbridge, Kent, UK: Air-Britain (Historians) Ltd., 1988. ISBN 0-85130-164-9.
- Jefford, Wing Commander C.G., MBE,BA,RAF (Retd). RAF Squadrons, a Comprehensive Record of the Movement and Equipment of all RAF Squadrons and their Antecedents since 1912. Shrewsbury, Shropshire, UK: Airlife Publishing, 2001. ISBN 1-84037-141-2.
- Jones, Phil. Airfield Focus No. 35: Dundonald. Peterborough, UK: GMS Enterprises, 1998. ISBN 1-870384-66-0.
- Rawlings, John D.R. Coastal, Support and Special Squadrons of the RAF and their Aircraft. London: Jane's Publishing Company Ltd., 1982. ISBN 0-7106-0187-5.
- Shears, Doug. Damn my Two Left Feet....and how I Flew with Them. Timaru, New Zealand: Jeff Mill & Associates, 2001. ISBN 0-9582280-0-0. Doug was a pilot with 516 and the book includes a chapter on his experiences with them.
- Sturtivant, Ray, ISO and John Hamlin. RAF Flying Training And Support Units since 1912. Tonbridge, Kent, UK: Air-Britain (Historians) Ltd., 2007. ISBN 0-85130-365-X.
- Squadron histories for nos. 500–520 sqn
- Squadron history on MOD site
- Site for no. 516 Combined Operations Sqn
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|