|No. 293 Squadron RAF|
|Active||28 Nov 1943 - 5 Apr 1946|
|Branch||Royal Air Force|
|Part of||Mediterranean Air Command|
Latin: Ex aere salus|
(Translation: "Safety from the air")
|Squadron Badge heraldry||Over waves of the sea, a dexter hand couped at the wrist in bend sinister|
|Squadron Codes||ZE (Nov 1943 - Apr 1946)|
No. 293 Squadron was a Royal Air Force air-sea rescue squadron. During the second world war the unit operated search and rescue missions for Allied aircraft operating over Italy.
No. 293 Squadron was formed at RAF Blida, North Africa on 28 November 1943 with the Vickers Warwick in the air-sea rescue role. After providing detachments into Italy the squadron moved to Pomigliano, Italy in March 1944. In April 1944 the Warwicks were supplemented by Supermarine Walrus flying boats. In March 1945 the squadron moved to Foggia, but moved back to Pomigliano in June where it stayed until it was disbanded on the 5 April 1946.
|November 1943||April 1946||Vickers Warwick||ASR Mk.I||Twin-engined bomber operated in the search and rescue role.|
|April 1944||April 1946||Supermarine Walrus||Mks.I, II||Single pusher-engined biplane rescue amphibian.|
|November 1943||December 1943||RAF Blida, Algeria|
|December 1943||March 1944||RAF Bone, Algeria||Det. at Pomigliano, Italy|
|March 1944||March 1945||Pomigliano, Italy||Dets. all over the Italian coast|
|March 1945||June 1945||Foggia, Italy||Dets. at Tortoreto, Italy; Udine, Italy and Cesenatico, Iatly|
|June 1945||April 1946||Pomigliano, Italy|
|November 1943||October 1944||S/Ldr. R.W. Pye|
|October 1944||August 1945||S/Ldr. W.R. Gellatly, RNZAF|
|August 1945||April 1946||S/Ldr. R.J. Cruttenden|
- Bowyer, Michael J.F. and John D.R. Rawlings. Squadron Codes, 1937-56. Cambridge, UK: Patrick Stephens Ltd., 1979. ISBN 0-85059-364-6.
- Delve, Ken. The Source Book of the RAF. Shrewsbury, Shropshire, UK: Airlife Publishing, 1994. ISBN 1-85310-451-5.
- Flintham, Vic and Andrew Thomas. Combat Codes: A full explanation and listing of British, Commonwealth and Allied air force unit codes since 1938. Shrewsbury, Shropshire, UK: Airlife Publishing Ltd., 2003. ISBN 1-84037-281-8.
- Franks, Norman. Beyond Courage: Air Sea Rescue by Walrus Squadrons in the Adriatic, Mediterranean and Tyrrhenian Seas, 1942-1945. London: Grub Street, 2003. ISBN 1-904010-30-X.
- Halley, James J. The Squadrons of the Royal Air Force and Commonwealth, 1918-1988. Tonbridge, Kent, UK: Air Britain (Historians) Ltd., 1988. ISBN 0-85130-164-9.
- Jefford, Wing Commander C.G., MBE, BA, RAF(Retd). RAF Squadrons: A Comprehensive Record of the Movement and Equipment of All RAF Squadrons and Their Antecedents Since 1912, Shrewsbury, Shropshire, UK: Airlife Publishing, 1988. ISBN 1853100536. (second revised edition 2001. ISBN 1-84037-141-2.)
- Rawlings, John D.R. Coastal, Support and Special Squadrons of the RAF and their Aircraft. London: Jane's Publishing Company Ltd., 1982. ISBN 0-7106-0187-5.
- The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Aircraft (Part Work 1982-1985). Orbis Publishing.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to No. 293 Squadron RAF.|
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|