|No. 286 Squadron RAF|
|Active||17 November 1941 - 16 May 1945|
|Branch||Royal Air Force|
Latin: Praesidia Nostra Exercemus|
("We exercise our defences")
|Squadron Badge heraldry||In front of a three-bladed propellor, a grenade fired|
|Squadron Codes||NW (Nov 1941 - May 1945)|
No. 286 Squadron RAF was a non-operational Second World War Royal Air Force squadron that operated a variety of aircraft to provide targets for anti-aircraft gun practice in the west country of England.
From 24 January 1942 the squadron was headquartered at newly operational RAF Lulsgate Bottom. However as the facilities there were still unfinished, from 2 March to 30 April the headquarters used RAF Colerne. It returned to Lulsgate only briefly before leaving for RAF Zeals on 26 May.
|Nov 1941||Jan 1942||Westland Lysander||Mk.II|
|Nov 1941||Jun 1943||Hawker Hurricane||Mk.I|
|Nov 1941||Jul 1944||Boulton-Paul Defiant||Mks.I, III|
|Nov 1941||May 1945||Airspeed Oxford||Mks.I, II|
|Apr 1942||May 1945||Hawker Hurricane||Mks.IIc, IV|
|Jul 1943||Dec 1944||Miles Martinet||Mk.I|
|Nov 1944||Mar 1945||Miles Master||Mk.III|
- Halley 1988, p. 348.
- James 1989, p. 17.
- James 1989, pp. 21–22.
- Rawlings 1982, p. 256.
- Jefford 2001, p. 85.
- Halley, James J. The Squadrons of the Royal Air Force and Commonwealth, 1918-1988. Tonbridge, Kent, UK: Air Britain (Historians) Ltd., 1988. ISBN 0-85130-164-9.
- James, Ian. The Story of RAF Lulsgate Bottom. Bristol: Redcliffe Press, 1989. ISBN 0-948265-48-5.
- Jefford, Wing Commander C.G., MBE, BA, RAF(Retd). RAF Squadrons: A Comprehensive Record of the Movement and Equipment of All RAF Squadrons and Their Antecedents Since 1912, Shrewsbury, Shropshire, UK: Airlife Publishing, 1988. ISBN 1853100536. (second revised edition 2001. ISBN 1-84037-141-2.)
- Rawlings, John D.R. Coastal, Support and Special Squadrons of the RAF and their Aircraft. London: Jane's Publishing Company Ltd., 1982. ISBN 0-7106-0187-5.
- The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Aircraft (Part Work 1982-1985). Orbis Publishing. 1985.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|