|No. 193 Squadron RAF|
|Active||18 December 1942 – 31 August 1945|
|Branch||Royal Air Force|
|Part of||RAF Fighter Command|
|Nickname(s)||"Fellowship of the Bellows"|
Latin: Aera et Terram Imperare|
("To govern the air and the earth")
|Squadron Badge heraldry||A Montagu's Harrier volant carrying a grenade – fired|
|Squadron Codes||DP (Dec 1942 – Aug 1945)|
No. 193 Squadron was formed at RAF Harrowbeer, Devon on 18 December 1942 as a fighter/ground attack unit. Although designated to operate the new Hawker Typhoon, the squadron at first used the Hawker Hurricane until the Typhoon was declared operational in April 1943.
In November 1943 the squadron was used to attack the German V-1 launch sites. The squadron then moved base in the south of England a number of times supporting the build up for invasion. From the 6 June 1944 the squadron was busy supporting the invasion force in the close-support fighter-bomber role. It was based on the Continent from 11 September 1944 as it continued to support the advancing armies in France, Belgium and Germany. The squadron disbanded on 31 August 1945 at Hildesheim.
Some of the squadron's Typhoon aircraft were paid for by the Brazilian branch of the Fellowship of the Bellows, which were a loosely organised international groups formed during World War II to collect funds for the purchase of aircraft for the Royal Air Force.
|Jan 1943||Feb 1943||Hawker Hurricane||Mk.IIb|
|Jan 1943||Aug 1945||Hawker Typhoon||Mk.Ib|
- Halley 1988, p. 252.
- Bowyer and Rawlings 1979, p. 30.
- Flintham and Thomas 2003, p. 69.
- Jefford 2001, p. 69.
- Rawlings 1978, p. 314.
- Bowyer, Michael J.F. and John D.R. Rawlings. Squadron Codes, 1937–56. Cambridge, UK: Patrick Stephens Ltd., 1979. ISBN 0-85059-364-6.
- Flintham, Vic and Andrew Thomas. Combat Codes: A full explanation and listing of British, Commonwealth and Allied air force unit codes since 1938. Shrewsbury, Shropshire, UK: Airlife Publishing Ltd., 2003. ISBN 1-84037-281-8.
- Halley, James J. The Squadrons of the Royal Air Force & Commonwealth 1918–1988. Tonbridge, Kent, UK: Air Britain (Historians) Ltd., 1988. ISBN 0-85130-164-9.
- Jefford, Wing Commander C.G., MBE, BA, RAF(Retd.). RAF Squadrons, a Comprehensive record of the Movement and Equipment of all RAF Squadrons and their Antecedents since 1912. Shrewsbury, Shropshire, UK: Airlife Publishing, 1988 (second edition 2001). ISBN 1-85310-053-6.
- Rawlings, John D.R. Fighter Squadrons of the RAF and their Aircraft. London: Macdonald & Jane's (Publishers) Ltd., 1969 (2nd edition 1976, reprinted 1978). ISBN 0-354-01028-X.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to No. 193 Squadron RAF.|
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|