|No. 156 Squadron RAF|
12 October 1918 – 9 December 1918|
14 February 1942 – 25 September 1945
|Branch||Royal Air Force|
No. 3 Group RAF, Bomber Command (Feb 42-Aug 42)|
No. 8 Group RAF, Bomber Command (Aug 42-Sep 45)
|Motto(s)||We light the way|
|Squadron Badge heraldry||A figure of Mercury holding a torch|
|Squadron Codes||GT (Feb 1942 - Sep 1945)|
Formation and World War I
Reformation in World War II
The squadron reformed in February 1942 from the home echelon of 40 sqn at RAF Alconbury, in the Huntingdonshire area of Cambridgeshire, as part of No. 3 Group RAF and was equipped with Wellingtons. In August 1942 it joined No. 8 Group RAF it became one of the original pathfinder squadrons, converting to Lancasters in January 1943. It continued in the pathfinder role until the end of the war, being based at RAF Warboys, RAF Upwood and finally its original founding base, RAF Wyton, where it disbanded on 25 September 1945.
There is a memorial to the crash of Avro Lancaster ED840, 156 Squadron, which crashed in the town in Lier, Belgium on 17 June 1943. It was on a mission to Cologne when it was shot down by anti-aircraft fire.
|November 1918||November 1918||Airco DH.9||A|
|February 1942||January 1943||Vickers Wellington||Mk.Ic|
|March 1942||January 1943||Vickers Wellington||Mk.III|
|January 1943||September 1945||Avro Lancaster||Mks.B.I & B.III|
|12 October 1918||9 December 1918||RAF Wyton, Cambridgeshire||Formed here|
|14 February 1942||15 August 1942||RAF Alconbury, Cambridgeshire||No. 3 Group RAF|
|15 August 1942||5 March 1944||RAF Warboys, Cambridgeshire||No. 8 Group RAF|
|5 March 1944||27 June 1945||RAF Upwood, Cambridgeshire|
|27 June 1945||25 September 1945||RAF Wyton, Cambridgeshire||Disbanded here|
|14 February 1942||30 May 1942||W/Cdr. P.G.R. Heath||KIA|
|30 May 1942||29 July 1942||W/Cdr. H.L. Price||KIA|
|30 July 1942||28 October 1942||W/Cdr. R.N. Cook|
|28 October 1942||8 June 1943||W/Cdr. T.S. Rivett-Carnac, DFC|
|17 January 1943||13 February 1943||S/Ldr. S.G. Hookway, DFC (acting)||KIA|
|8 June 1943||22 January 1944||G/Cpt. R.W.P. Collings, AFC|
|22 January 1944||27 April 1944||W/Cdr. E.C. Eaton, DFC||KIA|
|28 April 1944||7 May 1944||S/Ldr. T.W.G. Godfrey (acting)|
|7 May 1944||21 November 1944||W/Cdr. T.L. Bingham-Hall, DFC|
|21 November 1944||30 December 1944||W/Cdr. D.B. Falconer, DFC, AFC||KIA|
|30 December 1944||10 April 1945||W/Cdr. T.E. Ison DSO, DFC|
|10 April 1945||25 September 1945||W/Cdr. A.J.L. Craig|
- Moyes 1976, p. 179.
- Halley 1988, p. 229.
- Bowyer and Rawlings 1979, p. 46.
- Flintham and Thomas 2003, p. 77.
- Jefford 2001, p. 66.
- Jefford 2001, pp. 112-113.
- Riley, Robin (2007). "Commanding Officers of 156 Squadron". www.156squadron.com. http://www.156squadron.com/stationcommanders.asp. Retrieved 15 August 2011.
- Bowyer, Michael J.F. and John D.R. Rawlings. Squadron Codes, 1937-56. Cambridge, UK: Patrick Stephens Ltd., 1979. ISBN 0-85059-364-6.
- Flintham, Vic and Andrew Thomas. Combat Codes: A full explanation and listing of British, Commonwealth and Allied air force unit codes since 1938. Shrewsbury, Shropshire, UK: Airlife Publishing Ltd., 2003. ISBN 1-84037-281-8.
- Halley, James J. The Squadrons of the Royal Air Force & Commonwealth, 1918-88. Tonbridge, Kent, UK: Air-Britain (Historians) Ltd., 1988. ISBN 0-85130-164-9.
- Jefford, Wing Commander C.G., MBE,BA,RAF (Retd). RAF Squadrons, a Comprehensive Record of the Movement and Equipment of all RAF Squadrons and their Antecedents since 1912. Shrewsbury, Shropshire, UK: Airlife Publishing, 2001. ISBN 1-84037-141-2.
- Moyes, Philip J.R. Bomber Squadrons of the RAF and their Aircraft. London: Macdonald and Jane's (Publishers) Ltd., 1976. ISBN 0-354-01027-1.
- Wadsworth, Michael P. They Led the Way: the Story of Pathfinder Squadron 156. Beverley: Highgate Publications Ltd., 1992. ISBN 0-948929-58-8.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to No. 156 Squadron RAF.|
- 156 Squadron site
- Squadron history (and more) on RafWeb
- Squadron history on the official RAF website
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|