Misa Matsushima seated in F-15 in 2018
|Born||1991/1992 (age 29–30)|
|Service/branch||Japan Air Self-Defense Force|
|Unit||5th Air Wing|
First Lieutenant Misa Matsushima (松島美紗 Matsushima Misa ) (born 1991/1992 (age 29–30)) is the first female fighter pilot in Japan. Matsushima graduated from the Japan National Defense Academy in March 2014 and obtained her pilot's license in October 2016. Matsushima initially trained to be a transport and rescue pilot, but started training to be a fighter pilot after the Ministry of Defense opened the fighter pilot specialization to women candidates in 2015. She received her fighter certification on August 23, 2018, and was assigned to 305th Tactical Fighter Squadron of the Japan Air Self-Defense Force's 5th Air Wing, headquartered at Nyutabaru Air Base, where she will fly the Mitsubishi F-15J. Japan has had female military aviators since Kazue Kashiji in 1997; Matsushima is the first to pilot a fighter type aircraft.
- "女性初の戦闘機操縦士 新田原基地配属の松島２尉 「早く一人前に」" (in Japanese). August 24, 2018. https://www.nishinippon.co.jp/nnp/national/article/443795/.
- Yeung, Jessie; Ogura, Junko. "Japan gets first female fighter pilot". CNN. https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/japan-gets-first-female-fighter-pilot-inspired-by-top-gun/ar-BBMmWI8?OCID=ansmsnnews11.
- "Japan's first woman fighter pilot to blaze a trail in skies". BBC. 24 August 2018. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-45295212.
- "Japan sees first woman qualify as fighter jet pilot". Kyodo News. August 24, 2018. https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2018/08/24/national/japan-sees-first-woman-qualify-f-15-fighter-jet-pilot/.
- "空自初、女性の戦闘機操縦士…トップガンに憧れ" (in japanese). Yomiuri Shimbun. August 24, 2018. https://www.yomiuri.co.jp/national/20180824-OYT1T50006.html.
- Kikuchi, Hiroyuki; Kojo, Hirotaka (August 23, 2018). "Japan's first female fighter pilot to join airspace defense". http://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/AJ201808230057.html.
- Thompson, Paul. "Bulletin Board: First JASDF Woman Jet Jockey Qualifies". http://www.j-hangarspace.jp/bulletin-board.
- Kono, Toshiharu (May 13, 2003). "ASDF's first female pilot logs similar feat as instructor". Kyodo. https://www.japantimes.co.jp/2003/05/13/announcements/asdfs-first-female-pilot-logs-similar-feat-as-instructor/.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|