|Born||June 23, 1923(age 99)|
|Place of birth||Cheliabinsk USSR|
|Allegiance||Soviet Union, Russia|
|Years of service||1941-1992|
|Rank||General of the Army|
Chief Adviser to the President Democratic Republic of Afghanistan - Chief of the Armed Forces DRA
President of the Academy of Military Sciences
World War II|
Soviet war in Afghanistan
Order of Lenin|
Order of the Red Banner (4 times)
Order of Alexander Nevsky
Order of the Patriotic War (1st and 2nd class)
Order of the Red Banner of Labour
Order of the Red Star
Order for Service to the Homeland in the Armed Forces of the USSR (2nd and 3rd class)
Makhmut Akhmetovich Gareyev (Russian: Махмут Ахметович Гареев Tatar language: Мәхмүт Әхмәт улы Гәрәев) (b. June 23, 1923) is a Russian General of the Army, a historian, and a military scientist. Former Deputy Chief of the General Staff of the Armed Forces of the USSR. Currently the president of the Russian Academy of Military Sciences. He holds the Doctor of Science degree in History and Military Science.
A decorated veteran of the Second World War, he had a lifelong career in the Soviet military starting from the Third Lieutenant in the beginning of the war (having graduated from TVOKU in Tashkent in 1941) and reaching a rank of the General in 1970s.
Gareev has been involved in work on military history since 1950s. He authored many books including by himself or as an editor-in-chief of the collective works. Some of his books and articles have been translated and published into English.
His religion is Sunni Islam.
- General Gareev, "If War Comes Tomorrow?: The Contours of Future Armed Conflict (Cass Series on Soviet Military Theory and Practice)" (Paperback), Routledge, 1998, ISBN 0-7146-4368-8
- Makhmut Akhmetovich Gareev, "M.V. Frunze, Military Theorist" (Hardcover), Macmillan, 1988, ISBN 0-08-035183-2
- M. A. Gareev, "Marshal Zhukov: Velichie i unikalnost polkovodcheskogo iskusstva", Vostochnyi universitet, 1996, ISBN 5-87865-109-2
- M. A. Gareev, "Neodnoznachnye stranitsy voiny: Ocherki o problemnykh voprosakh istorii Velikoi Otechestvennoi voiny", "RFM", 1995, ISBN 5-88793-001-2
- M. A. Gareev, "Konturen des bewaffneten Kampfes der Zukunft: Ein Ausblick auf das Militarwesen in den nachsten 10 bis 15 Jahren (Schriftenreihe des Bundesinstituts fur ... und Internationale Studien, Koln)", Nomos; 1. Aufl edition (1996), ISBN 3-7890-3938-1
- M. A. Gareev, "Moia posledniaia voina: Afganistan bez sovetskikh voisk", INSAN, 1996, ISBN 5-85840-277-1
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|