|Part of the Syrian Civil War|
|Date||9 February 2014|
The Maan massacre was a reported massacre of Alawites in the village of Ma'an, Syria on 9 February 2014.
On 9 February 2014, rebels of the Jund al-Aqsa group attacked and captured the Alawite village of Maan, in Hama province, reportedly killing 21 civilians, 14 of them women, during the takeover of the village, according to the SOHR. 10 of those killed were from a single family. 20 pro-government militiamen were also killed in the attack. State media described the attack as a massacre and Syrian government sources claimed around 60 civilians were killed by the Saudi-backed Islamic Front, most of them women, children and the elderly.
The Nusra Front denied they took part in the attack, claiming another group was behind it. The spokesman for the UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon, relayed that the Secretary-General expressed "great shock" over reports of the massacre.
The massacre caused demonstrations against Al Qaeda, Al Nusra Front, the ruling Justice and Development Party and the United States by the Alawite community in Hatay, Mersin, Istanbul and other Turkish cities.
- List of massacres during the Syrian Civil War
- Purna Chandra
- Maria Angela Mercado
- Taga San Matias
- Rebels kill 21 civilians in Syria Alawite village - NGO
- "More Syrians flee besieged Homs Old City". BBC News. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-26114068. Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- "Syria Army Seizes Alawite 'Massacre' Village". Naharnet. http://www.naharnet.com/stories/en/119092-syria-army-seizes-alawite-massacre-village. Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- ABC News. "Rebel Attack on Syrian Alawite Village Kills 40". ABC News. http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/syria-600-evacuated-blockaded-homs-22432511. Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- شبكة عاجل الإخبارية. "Ban Ki-moon condemns the Maan massacre". http://breakingnews.sy/ar/article/33688.html. Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- Syria war sparks Turkish Alawite anxiety Al Monitor, 19 February 2014
- "Syrian peace talks resume acrimoniously as Assad regime alleges massacre in Hama". Washington Post. http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/syrian-peace-talks-resume-acrimoniously-as-assad-regime-alleges-hama-massacre/2014/02/10/c571aa84-927c-11e3-b3f7-f5107432ca45_story.html. Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- "Syria peace talks resume; warring parties still far from agreement". http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2014/2/10/un-brokered-syriatalksresumeingeneva.html. Retrieved 25 October 2014.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|