Pelikan was a 3,264 ton refrigerated cargo ship which was built in 1934. She was seized by the United Kingdom and renamed Empire Alde in 1945. In 1946, she was renamed Pelikan. In 1947 she was renamed Pacuare, she was scrapped in 1958.
Pelikan was built by Bremer Vulkan Schiff- und Maschinenbau, Bremen as yard number 712 and launched in 1934, being completed in January 1935. She was owned by the Afrikanische Frucht-Cie AG and managed by F Laeisz, Hamburg. In 1940, ownership passed to the Kriegsmarine although Lloyds Register continued to show Pelikan as a merchant ship. In 1945, Pelikan was seized at Brunsbüttel and ownership passed to the Ministry of War Transport and renamed Empire Alde, under the management of the Southern Railway and later Kaye, Sons & Co. In 1946, Empire Alde was sold to Elders & Fyffes Ltd, regaining her original name of Pelikan before being renamed Pacuare in 1947. She was to serve until 1959, when she was sent to Troon for scrapping, arriving on 22 September.
Official number and code letters
Official Numbers were a forerunner to IMO Numbers.
- "1181664". Miramar Ship Index. http://www.miramarshipindex.org.nz. Retrieved 2008-12-21. (subscription required)
- "Empire-A". Mariners-L. http://www.mariners-l.co.uk/EmpireA.html. Retrieved 2008-12-21.
- "LISTE DES NAVIRES POURVUS DE MACHINES FRIGORIFIQUES". Plimsoll Ship Data. http://www.plimsollshipdata.org/pdffile.php?name=43a0851.pdf. Retrieved 2008-12-21.
- "NAVIRES A VAPEUR ET MOTEURS". Plimsoll Ship Data. http://www.plimsollshipdata.org/pdffile.php?name=45a0815.pdf. Retrieved 2008-12-21.
- "STEAMERS & MOTORSHIPS". Plimsoll Ship Data. http://www.plimsollshipdata.org/pdffile.php?name=34b0985.pdf. Retrieved 2008-12-21.
- "Search results for "1181664"". Miramar Ship Index. http://www.miramarshipindex.org.nz/ship/list?search_op=OR&IDNo=1181664. Retrieved 2008-12-21.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|