MASS (Multi Ammunition Softkill System) is a naval self-defence system, produced by Rheinmetall of Germany. It is connected to the ship's sensors and protects ships from attacks by advanced, sensor-guided missiles, by launching decoys, that operate in all relevant wavelengths on the electromagnetic spectrum (ultra violet, electro-optical, laser, infrared and radar). MASS can be either plugged into the command and control module of a naval vessel, or operate autonomously.
Rheinmetall Defence has stated that "MASS has attracted orders from 9 nations, for 130 launchers, on 15 different classes of naval vessels" as of March 31/09. As of 3 March 2011, this has been expanded to a total order of at least 172 units. Roughly one year later, on the 17th of April 2012, the total was at 186 launchers for 22 different classes of vessels in 11 different nations.
- Germany: Brandenburg class frigates, Braunschweig class corvettes, Frankenthal class mine hunters, Kulmbach class mine hunters and the future Baden-Württemberg class frigates
- Canada: Halifax class frigates
- Pakistan: Tariq class frigates
- Finland: Hamina class missile boats, Hämeenmaa class minelayers, Rauma-class missile boats
- Norway: Skjold class patrol boats
- Sweden: Göteborg class corvettes, Stockholm class corvettes and Visby class corvettes
- United Arab Emirates: Baynunah class corvette, Abu Dhabi class corvette, Falaj 2 class patrol vessel
- South Korea: LST-II-class landing ships 
two additional unknown customers.
- Rheinmetall Defence - Mass Multi Ammunition Softkill System
- Rheinmetall Defence (March 31/09) - Rheinmetall to equip Canadian Navy frigates with Mass
- Rheinmetall Defence (April 21/08) - Mass decoy system safeguards ships from symmetric and asymmetric threats
- Behoerden Spiegel - MASS fuer die VAE
- "Full-speed ahead for MASS". www.rheinmetall-detec.de. http://www.rheinmetall-detec.de/index.php?fid=5531&qid=&qpage=0&lang=3&query=MASS. Retrieved 2011-03-03.
- "Adquisicion de lanzadores de senuelos MASS". Defensa.com. http://www.defensa.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2265:adquisicion-de-lanzadores-de-senuelos-mass&catid=55:latinoamerica&Itemid=163. Retrieved 2010-09-02. [dead link]
- "Rheinmetall receives order from South Korea". www.rheinmetall-detec.de. http://www.rheinmetall-detec.de/index.php?fid=5745&qid=&qpage=0&lang=3&query=MASS. Retrieved 2012-04-17.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|