The Lithuanian Naval Force is the navy of the Lithuanian Armed Forces. Though formally established on 1 September 1935 its roots stretch back as far as naval engagements on the Baltic Sea in the Medieval period. Lithuanian naval units saw some service with Soviet naval forces during World War II, and the navy has been re-established in its own right and continues to expand since Lithuania's independence from the Soviet Union in 1990.
On 1 April 2004, Lithuania became an official member of the NATO alliance. Currently Lithuanian naval forces undergoing rapid modernization. It's headquarters is in Klaipėda, Lithuania.
Main tasks of the Lithuanian Naval Force are:
- Control, protect and defend territorial sea and exclusive economic zone of the Republic of Lithuania;
- Underwater, surface surveillance and control of territorial waters;
- Mine-clearing operations;
- Antiterrorism activities at sea;
- Protecion and control of shipping and sea line of communications;
- SAR operations.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|