This is a list of armed groups in the Syrian Civil War.
- 1 Generic list
- 2 Detailed list
- 3 Coalitions
- 4 See also
- 5 References
- 6 External links
Overall conflict (2011–present)
|Axis of Resistance|| Syrian Interim Government
| ISIS Government|
| Syrian government forces
Allied armed groups:
Direct military support:
Indirect military support:
| Islamic Front
Ajnad al-Sham Islamic Union
Indirect military support:
Syriac Union Party
Direct military support:
Indirect military support:
See: Kurdistan campaign
|Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant|
- The Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant was formerly part of al-Qaeda, but was disavowed by al-Qaeda General Command, which stated: "It is not affiliated with al-Qaeda and has no relationship with it... al-Qaeda is not responsible for ISIS's actions."
- The United States alleges that Belarus has provided or attempted to provide direct military support to the Syrian government. Belarus denies this. There are also unconfirmed rumours that Algeria is providing military support to Syria.
- There is regular conflict between various rebel groups. However, members of the People's Protection Units have occasionally coordinated with the Free Syrian Army. In the Rebel-ISIS conflict, the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant and Jund al-Aqsa have been fighting the Free Syrian Army, the Syria Revolutionaries Front, the Army of Mujahedeen, the Islamic Front and some units of the al-Nusra Front. Ghuraba al-Sham has clashed with the al-Nusra Front and the al-Tawhid Brigade of the Islamic Front. Members of the Kurdistan Democratic Party of Syria as well as the Kurdish Freedom Party have on occasion clashed with the People's Protection Units, the armed wing of the Democratic Union Party.
- The Kurdish National Council has joined the Syrian National Coalition—though without officially committing any military forces to the opposition—while simultaneously retaining its membership in the Kurdish Supreme Council alongside the PYD.
- The Islamic Front is a 2013 merger of two former rebel groups; the Syrian Islamic Liberation Front and the Syrian Islamic Front.
- The Syrian Electronic Army is a Syrian-government aligned group that is engaged in cyberwarfare.
Spillover in Lebanon (2011–present)
|Allies of the Syrian government|| al-Qaeda network
Syrian National Council
| Arab Democratic Party
Turkish clashes (2012–2013)
Spillover in the Golan Heights and Israeli airstrikes (2012–present)
| Syrian government
| Syrian National Council
|Syria|| Free Syrian Army
Spillover in Jordan (2012)
|Jordan||Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant|
|Jordan||Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant|
Spillover in Iraq (2013–14)
| Syrian government
|Syria||Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant|
Syrian government and allies
|Syrian Armed Forces||Bashar al-Assad||March 2011||Approximately 178,000||Government's primary military force.||Ba'athism
|National Defense Force||Bashar al-Assad||2013||60,000||Government counter-insurgency force.||Secularism|
|Syrian Resistance||Mihraç Ural||2011||2,000||Pro-government Marxist militia.||Syrian nationalism|
|Ba'ath Brigades||Bashar al-Assad||2012||Pro-government counter-insurgency militia.||Ba'athism|
|Hezbollah||Hassan Nasrallah||2012||2,000||Militant group based in Lebanon, designated by the US as a terrorist group.||Ideology of Hezbollah|
|Liwa Abu al-Fadhal al-Abbas||Abu Ajeeb||2012||10,000||Shia Syrian militant group formed due to desecration of shrines, heritage sites and place of worship by the rebels. It is Active around Damascus.||Shia Islamism|
|Asa'ib Ahl al-Haq||Akram al-Kaabi||2012||An offshot of Iraqi Shia insurgent group. It is active around Aleppo.||Shia Islamism|
Syrian National Coalition, al-Qaeda Network and allies
|Free Syrian Army||Abdul-Ilah al-Bashir||July 2011||40,000||Main opposition group. Initially an umbrella term for defected Syrian soldiers, later became more organized.||Diverse, Mostly Islamism|
|Islamic Front||Amad Essa Al-Sheikh||November 2013||45,000||Merger of major rebel groups.||Islamism|
|Ajnad al-Sham Islamic Union||Muhammad Abu al-Fatih||December 2013||15,000||Merger of Damascus area rebel groups||Islamism|
|Ahfad al-Rasul Brigade||Ziad Haj Obaid||July 2012||15,000||An independent brigade|
|Authenticity and Development Front||Khalid al-Hammad||November 2012||13,000||Islamism|
|Al-Nusra Front||Abu Mohammad al-Golani||January 2012||7,000-15,000||Designated by the US as a terrorist group. Pledged allegiance to Al-Qaeda.||Sunni Islamism|
|Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant||Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi||April 2013||5,000–22,500||Formerly Al-Qaeda's branch in Iraq, provided significant support for Al-Nusra Front, designated by the US as a terrorist group.||Sunni Islamism|
|Army of Mujahedeen||Tawfeeq Shihab al-Din||January 2014||~5,000||Coalition of Islamist rebels formed to fight ISIL.||Islamism|
|Fatah al-Islam||April 2012||200||Lebanese al-Qaeda affiliate.||Sunni Islamism|
Kurdish Supreme Committee and allies
|Democratic Union Party (PYD)||Salih Muslim Muhammad||2012||15,000–40,000
Note: Figure is for the People's Protection Units (YPG), which the PYD claims are not its exclusive militia, but rather are under the command of the higher Supreme Committee
|Dominant Kurdish political party within the Supreme Committee
Note: Officially part of a larger coalition called the People's Council of West Kurdistan (MGRK), which includes a number of civil unions and a few marginal leftist political parties. Also a member of the Koma Civakên Kurdistan, founded by the PKK.
|Jabhat al-Akrad||Hajji Ahmed Kurdi||2012||7,000||Ex-Free Syrian Army brigade, close to YPG||Pro-Kurdish rights|
|Kurdish National Council (KNC)||Feysel Yusuf||2012||1,500
Note: Figure claimed by the leader of one minor party within the bloc, but no known participation in any conflict.
|Opposition alliance of smaller Kurdish parties within the Supreme Committee
Note: Largely dominated by the KDP-S, which also formed a separate caucus called the Syrian Kurdish Democratic Union. Most members are politically tied to either the KDP or the PUK in Iraqi Kurdistan.
- Groups that are part of multiple coalitions or sub-groups are listed twice, although their subsequent sub-groups will not necessarily be repeated.
- This section aims to include all sub-groups involved in the Syrian Civil War. It is incomplete.
| Free Syrian Army|
| Farouq Brigades|
Ammar bin Yassir Battalion (Idlib province)
Ahrar Souriya (Free Men of Syria) Brigade 
Jesus Christ Brigade
| Islamic Front|
| Syrian Islamic Liberation Front
Kurdish Islamic Front
- The sub-groups of Jaysh al-Islam are merged into the group.
- Not all groups in the Syrian Islamic Liberation Front and the Syrian Islamic Front have agreed (or declined) to be a part of the Islamic Front, despite the leaders of both coalitions having joined the Front as key figures. The Syrian Islamic Front tweeted that it had disbanded and its component groups would hereby operate under the Islamic Front. The Syrian Islamic Liberation Front announced its dissolution on the 26th of November 2013. The non-signatory former members of the Syrian Islamic Liberation Front have been included here as members by default, as the former coalitions' leaders have joined the Front. The original seven signatories are:
| Ajnad al-Sham Islamic Union |
| al-Habib al-Mustafa Brigades
| Authenticity and Development Front|
| Southern Front
| Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant|
| al-Qaeda in Iraq|
Saad Bin Moaz Battalion (Hama province)
|Free Syrian Union|
| Division 77 (Northern Region)
Third Division (Qalamoun)
|Army of Mujahedeen|
| Nur al-Din al-Zanki Islamic Brigades
al-Noor Islamic Movement
| al-Berri clan|
- Foreign rebel fighters in the Syrian Civil War
- Russia's role in the Syrian Civil War
- Foreign involvement in the Syrian Civil War
- Iranian support for Syria in the Syrian Civil War
- "Iran: We're in "axis of resistance" with Syria". CBS News. http://www.cbsnews.com/news/iran-were-in-axis-of-resistance-with-syria/. Retrieved 30 January 2014.
- Omar al-Jaffal Contributor, Iraq Pulse. "Iraqi Shiites Join Syria War - Al-Monitor: the Pulse of the Middle East". Al-Monitor. http://www.al-monitor.com/pulse/originals/2013/10/iraqi-shiites-join-syrian-war.html. Retrieved 2013-11-04.
- al-Salhy, Suadad (10 April 2013). "Iraqi Shi'ite militants start to acknowledge role in Syria". Reuters. http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/04/10/us-syria-crisis-iraq-idUSBRE9390OB20130410. Retrieved 4 December 2013.
- "Rockets hit south Beirut after Hezbollah vows Syria victory". Reuters. 26 May 2013 2012. http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/05/26/us-lebanon-hezbollah-rockets-idUSBRE94P01M20130526.
- "Syria rebels clash with army, Palestinian fighters". 31 October 2012. http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/cndy/2012-10/31/content_15858497.htm.
- Aymenn Al-Tamimi (13 November 2013). "The Druze Militias of Southern Syria". http://www.joshualandis.com/blog/druze-militias-southern-syria/. Retrieved 18 November 2013.
- Smyth, Phillip (11 May 2013). "Hizballah Cavalcade: Roundup of Iraqis Killed in Syria, Part 1". Hizballah Cavalcade. Jihadology. http://jihadology.net/2013/05/11/hizballah-cavalcade-roundup-of-iraqis-killed-in-syria-part-1/. Retrieved 22 September 2013.
- "Syrian Ba'ath militia commander goes rags-to-riches". Al Monitor. http://www.al-monitor.com/pulse/originals/2013/11/baath-party-brigade-syria-war-aleppo.html#. Retrieved 5 December 2013.
- Racha Abi Haidar (12 February 2014). "The Deal in Yarmouk: End of the Tragedy or Empty Words?". Al Akhbar. http://english.al-akhbar.com/content/deal-yarmouk-end-tragedy-or-empty-words. Retrieved 14 February 2014.
- "Tripoli clashes intensify as Eid declares all-out battle and Kabbara demands his arrest". Naharnet. 21 May 2013. http://www.naharnet.com/stories/en/83899-tripoli-clashes-intensify-as-eid-declares-all-out-battle-and-kabbara-demands-his-arrest. Retrieved 31 August 2013.
- "Report: Yemen Houthis fighting for Assad in Syria". Jerusalem Post. 31 May 2013 2012. http://www.jpost.com/Middle-East/Report-Yemen-Houthis-fighting-for-Assad-in-Syria-315005.
- Liakos, Panagiotis (29 September 2013). "Syria: Greek Nationalist Socialists fighting with Assad's regime far more dangerous than Golden Dawn". Anarkismo. http://www.anarkismo.net/article/26261. Retrieved 5 November 2013.
- Whelan, Brian (October 2013). "Are Greek Neo-Nazis Fighting for Assad in Syria?". Vice. http://www.vice.com/read/are-greek-neo-nazis-fighting-for-assad-in-syria1. Retrieved 5 November 2013.
- "National Guard: A new faction of the Arab Mercenaries after the exposure of the Persian Project". TelevisionOrient. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uoFoNfC-6g. Retrieved 13 January 2014.
- Bahaa, Jafra. "Shiite militia massacre in Nabek... Rape, killing and burning". Al Arabiya. http://www.alarabiya.net/ar/arab-and-world/syria/2013/12/07/%D9%85%D8%AC%D8%B2%D8%B1%D8%A9-%D8%A8%D9%8A%D8%AF-%D9%85%D9%8A%D9%84%D9%8A%D8%B4%D9%8A%D8%A7%D8%AA-%D8%B4%D9%8A%D8%B9%D9%8A%D8%A9-%D9%81%D9%8A-%D8%A7%D9%84%D9%86%D8%A8%D9%83-%D8%A7%D8%BA%D8%AA%D8%B5%D8%A7%D8%A8-%D9%82%D8%AA%D9%84-%D9%81%D8%AD%D8%B1%D9%82.html. Retrieved 13 January 2014.
- "Hizballah cavalcade: Liwa'a Zulfiqar; Birth of a new Shia militia in Syria?". Jihadology. http://jihadology.net/2013/06/20/hizballah-cavalcade/. Retrieved 13 January 2014.
- "The last battle of the Slavic Corps". Fontanka. http://www.fontanka.ru/2013/11/14/060/. Retrieved 13 January 2014.
- Phillip Smyth (13 January 2014). "Hizballah Cavalcade: Faylak Wa’ad al-Sadiq: The Repackaging of an Iraqi "Special Group" for Syria". http://jihadology.net/2014/01/13/hizballah-cavalcade-faylak-waad-al-sadiq-the-repackaging-of-an-iraqi-special-group-for-syria/.
- Kat, Iskander (1 August 2012). "Syria rebels to target intel, as Assad hails army". The Daily Star. http://www.dailystar.com.lb/News/Middle-East/2012/Aug-01/183024-syria-rebels-to-target-intel-as-assad-hails-army.ashx#axzz22JS4jWNB. Retrieved 15 August 2013.
- "Syrian MP killed publicly by FSA firing squad". Al Jazeera. 1 August 2012. http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/features/2012/08/201281112018409533.html. Retrieved 15 August 2013.
- Heras, Nicholas. "The tribal factor in Syria's rebellion". Fair Observer. http://www.fairobserver.com/article/tribal-factor-syria-rebellion. Retrieved 17 February 2014.
- Muhammad, Bishwa. "Pro-Assad militants storm houses of Kurdish activists in Hasakah". ARA News. http://aranews.org/en/home/kurdish-region/664-pro-assad-militants-storm-activists-houses-in-hasakah.html. Retrieved 17 February 2014.
- Saeed Kamali Dehghan (28 May 2012). "Syrian army being aided by Iranian forces". The Guardian. http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/may/28/syria-army-iran-forces.
- Daftari, Lisa (28 August 2012). "Iranian general admits 'fighting every aspect of a war' in defending Syria's Assad". Fox News. http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/08/28/iranian-general-admits-fighting-every-aspect-war-in-defending-syria-assad/.
- "State Dept. official: Iranian soldiers are fighting for Assad in Syria". Washington Post. 21 May 2013. http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/middle_east/state-dept-official-iranian-soldiers-are-fighting-for-assad-in-syria/2013/05/21/a7c3f4ce-c23e-11e2-914f-a7aba60512a7_story.html.
- "Iran: Three IRGC members killed in Syria fighting for Assad regime". Foreign Affairs Committee of the National Council of Resistance of Iran. http://www.ncr-iran.org/en/news/terrorism-fundamentalism/14327-iran-three-irgc-members-killed-in-syria-fighting-for-assad-regime. Retrieved 12 December 2013.
- Neriah, Jacques (29 May 2013). "Iranian forces on the Golan?". Jerusalem Center for Public Affairs. http://jcpa.org/iranian-forces-on-the-golan/. Retrieved 15 July 2013.
- Gold, Dore (9 June 2013). "The Arab world fears the 'Safavid'". Jerusalem Center for Public Affairs. http://jcpa.org/article/the-arab-world-fears-the-safavid/. Retrieved 15 July 2013.
- Gordon, Michael R. & Myers, Steven Lee (21 May 2013). "Iran and Hezbollah support for Syria complicates peace-talk strategy". The New York Times. http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/22/world/middleeast/iran-and-hezbollahs-support-for-syria-complicates-us-strategy-on-peace-talks.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0. Retrieved 15 July 2013.
- Richard Galpin (10 January 2012). "Russian arms shipments bolster Syria's embattled Assad". BBC News. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-16797818. Retrieved 4 February 2012.
- "Russian military presence in Syria poses challenge to US-led intervention". The Guardian, 23 December 2012. Retrieved 26 February 2013.
- Ryall, Julian (6 June 2013). "Syria: North Korean military 'advising Assad regime'". The Telegraph. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/syria/10102561/Syria-North-Korean-military-advising-Assad-regime.html. Retrieved 2 August 2013.
- "North Korea violating sanctions, according to UN report". The Telegraph. 3 July 2012. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/northkorea/9371607/North-Korea-violating-sanctions-according-to-UN-report.html. Retrieved 6 October 2012.
- "It looks like Iraq has joined Assad's side in the Syrian war". Business Insider. http://www.businessinsider.com.au/iraq-joins-assads-side-in-syrian-war-2013-3. Retrieved 16 February 2014.
- Paragga, Mariana. "Exclusive: Venezuela ships fuel to war-torn Syria: traders". Reuters. http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/02/16/us-venezuela-syria-idUSTRE81F11220120216. Retrieved 5 December 2013.
- Parraga, Mariana. "Venezuela to ship more fuel to Syria as crackdown spreads". Thomson Reuters Foundation. http://www.trust.org/item/?map=venezuela-to-ship-more-fuel-to-syria-as-crackdown-spreads/. Retrieved 5 December 2013.
- Solomon, Jay. "To power Syria, Chavez sends diesel". The Wall Street Journal. http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303292204577517041523762940. Retrieved 5 December 2013.
- "Chavez slams West, expresses support for Syria". Press TV. http://www.presstv.ir/detail/229999.html. Retrieved 5 December 2013.
- "Chavez supports Syrian President Bashar al-Assad". http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6GZEstwNrQ. Retrieved 5 December 2013.
- "Leading Syrian rebel groups form new Islamic Front". BBC. 22 November 2013. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-25053525. Retrieved 22 November 2013.
- Kelley, Michael (19 September 2013). "A full extremist-to-moderate spectrum of the 100,000 Syrian rebels". Business Insider. http://www.businessinsider.com.au/graphic-the-most-accurate-breakdown-of-the-syrian-rebels-2013-9. Retrieved 19 November 2013.
- "The Free Syrian Army". Institute for the Study of War. http://www.understandingwar.org/sites/default/files/The-Free-Syrian-Army-24MAR.pdf.
- "Al-Nusra Commits to al-Qaida, Deny Iraq Branch 'Merger' — Naharnet". Naharnet.com. 2013-04-10. http://www.naharnet.com/stories/en/78961-al-nusra-commits-to-al-qaida-deny-iraq-branch-merger/.
- O'Bagy, Elizabeth (September 2012). "Jihad in Syria". Institute For The Study Of War. http://www.understandingwar.org/sites/default/files/Jihad-In-Syria-17SEPT.pdf. Retrieved 4 November 2013.
- Prothero, Mitchell (25 June 2013). "Al Qaida-linked Nusra Front blamed for bloody fight against Lebanese army in Sidon". McClatchy. http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2013/06/25/194944/al-qaida-linked-nusra-front-rebels.html#.UdBz22JHIpk. Retrieved 31 August 2013.
- Batal al-Shishani, Murad. "Syria crisis: Omar Shishani, Chechen jihadist leader". BBC. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-25151104. Retrieved 6 December 2013.
- Joscelyn, Thomas. "Chechen-led group swears allegiance to head of Islamic State of Iraq and al-Sham". The Long War Journal. http://www.longwarjournal.org/archives/2013/11/muhajireen_army_swea.php. Retrieved 6 December 2013.
- Lund, Aron (15 October 2012). "Holy Warriors". Foreign Policy. http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2012/10/15/holy_warriors. Retrieved 4 November 2013.
- Baker, Aryn & Aysha, Rami (23 April 2013). "Lebanon’s Most Wanted Sunni Terrorist Blows Himself Up in Syria". Ya Libnan. http://www.yalibnan.com/2012/04/23/lebanons-most-wanted-sunni-terrorist-blows-himself-up-in-syria/. Retrieved 8 June 2013.
- Lund, Aron (6 January 2014). "Pushing Back Against the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant: The Path to Conflict". Carnegie Endowment for International Peace. http://carnegieendowment.org/syriaincrisis/?fa=54086&reloadFlag=1. Retrieved 15 January 2014.
- "الأخبار - عربي - تشكيل جديد لفصائل معارضة مسلحة بدمشق". Aljazeera.net. 30 November 2013. http://aljazeera.net/news/pages/6df18bbe-f33b-4058-9855-18718709fcf0. Retrieved 2013-11-30.
- "أُعلن اليوم الأحد في مدينة انطاكية التركية عن تأسيس "جبهة الأصالة والتنمية" كأول إطار جامع للجناحين العسكري والمدني التنموي في سورية". Aks Alser. http://www.aksalser.com/?page=view_articles&id=714d713c9bbf722c96658f10670e6e89&ar=570324375. Retrieved 12 July 2013.
- "من نحن؟". Asala Tanmia. http://www.asala-tanmia.com/%D9%85%D9%86-%D9%86%D8%AD%D9%86%D8%9F. Retrieved 12 July 2013. [dead link]
- "The Structure and Organization of the Syrian Opposition". Center for American Progress. 14 May 2013. http://www.americanprogress.org/issues/security/report/2013/05/14/63221/the-structure-and-organization-of-the-syrian-opposition/.
- Kayed, Omar. "A cross-section of Islamist rebel forces in Syria". Al Monitor. http://www.al-monitor.com/pulse/security/2013/12/syria-map-islamic-forces.html. Retrieved 29 December 2013.
- "Syria rebels unite and launch new revolt, against jihadists". AFP. 4 January 2014. Archived from the original on 4 January 2014. http://web.archive.org/web/20140104223644/http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5iBiqK22imjhxK_n7xBbQceWLU-7w?docId=a3877bbc-2d91-4961-bc3c-b28f5082ea89. Retrieved 13 January 2014.
- AFP (18 January 2013). "Raging clashes pit Syrian Kurds against jihadists". NOW. https://now.mmedia.me/lb/en/nowsyrialatestnews/raging_clashes_pit_syrian_kurds_against_jihadists.
- Sherlock, Ruth. "Muslim Brotherhood establishes militia inside Syria". The Telegraph. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/syria/9450587/Muslim-Brotherhood-establishes-militia-inside-Syria.html. Retrieved 21 February 2014.
- "For a civil, secular state: 100+ groups unite in the union of free Syrians". Democratic Revolution, Syrian Style. http://notgeorgesabra.wordpress.com/2013/11/25/for-a-civil-secular-state-100-groups-unite-in-the-union-of-free-syrians/.
- Sinjab, Lina (17 October 2013). "Syria crisis: Guide to armed and political opposition". BBC. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-24403003. Retrieved 3 December 2013.
- Glasman, Frantz. "Deir ez-Zor in eastern Syria: Islamists, tribes and oil". Le Monde. http://syrie.blog.lemonde.fr/2013/12/08/deir-ez-zor-a-lest-de-la-syrie-des-islamistes-des-tribus-et-du-petrole/. Retrieved 17 February 2014.
- Yezdani, Ipek (1 September 2012). "Rebels fighting against al-Assad rule fragmented, disorganized in Syria". Hurriyet Daily News. http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/images/Documents/F199BC38846F4E72B083A4222B568E7F.pdf. Retrieved 15 August 2013.
- "Syrian rebels set up camp on hilltop base 46". al-Arabiya. http://english.alarabiya.net/articles/2012/11/21/251049.html. Retrieved 17 February 2014.
- al-Tamimi, Aymenn Jawad. "The fall of Yaroubiya to YPG in context". Brown Moses. http://brown-moses.blogspot.sk/2013/11/the-fall-of-yaroubiya-to-ypg-in-context.html. Retrieved 17 February 2014.
- Paraszczuk, Joanna. "'Capturing Yarmouk camp another Syrian rebel gain'". The Jerusalem Post. http://www.jpost.com/Middle-East/Capturing-Yarmouk-camp-another-Syrian-rebel-gain. Retrieved 17 February 2014.
- Mouirtada, Hania. "Soldiers' mass execution reported by Syria group". New York Times. http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/27/world/middleeast/soldiers-mass-execution-reported-by-syria-group.html?_r=1&. Retrieved 17 February 2014.
- "Syrian Christian village besieged by Jihadists". al-Monitor. http://www.al-monitor.com/pulse/security/2013/09/syria-christians-maaloula-jihadists-opposition-army.html. Retrieved 17 February 2014.
- "Statement from Sham Army". Dauod Brigade. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iveEIvPX18A&feature=youtu.be. Retrieved 20 February 2014.
- Schmitt, Eric (21 June 2012). "C.I.A. Said to Aid in Steering Arms to Syrian Opposition". The New York Times. http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/21/world/middleeast/cia-said-to-aid-in-steering-arms-to-syrian-rebels.html.
- Risen, James, Mazzetti, Mark & Schmidt, Michael S. (5 December 2012). "U.S. approved arms for Libya rebels fell into Jihadis' hands". The New York Times. http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/06/world/africa/weapons-sent-to-libyan-rebels-with-us-approval-fell-into-islamist-hands.html?_r=0. Retrieved 2 August 2013.
- El Deeb, Sarah (20 June 2013). "Rivalries complicate arms pipeline to Syria rebels". San Jose Mercury News. http://www.mercurynews.com/nation-world/ci_23504307/rivalries-complicate-arms-pipeline-syria-rebels. Retrieved 24 August 2013.
- Fars News Agency, 8 September 2013, Ex-Deputy PM: Turkey Supplying Heavy Weaponries to al-Nusra Terrorists in Syria
- Vatan, 8 September 2013, 'Türkiye El Nusra’ya ağır silahlar gönderdi'
- Hosenball, Mark (1 August 2012). "Exclusive: Obama authorizes secret U.S. support for rebels". Reuters. http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/08/01/us-usa-syria-obama-order-idUSBRE8701OK20120801. Retrieved 2 August 2013.
- Londono, Ernesto & Miller, Greg (12 September 2013). "U.S. weapons reaching Syrian rebels". The Washington Post. http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/cia-begins-weapons-delivery-to-syrian-rebels/2013/09/11/9fcf2ed8-1b0c-11e3-a628-7e6dde8f889d_story.html. Retrieved 13 September 2013.
- "Syria conflict: UK to give extra £5m to opposition groups". BBC. 10 August 2012. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19205204. Retrieved 2 August 2013.
- "France gives non-lethal military aid to Syrian opposition: PM". Al Arabiya News. 22 August 2012. http://english.alarabiya.net/articles/2012/08/22/233570.html. Retrieved 2 August 2013.
- Glioti, Andrea (7 May 2013). "Kurdish group gaining autonomy in northern Syria". Al-Monitor. http://www.al-monitor.com/pulse/originals/2013/05/pyd-pkk-syria-kurdistan.html. Retrieved 12 August 2013.
- van Wigenburg, Wladimir. "Kurdish strategy towards ethnically-mixed areas in the Syrian conflict". Refworld. http://www.refworld.org/docid/52aef0e34.html. Retrieved 17 February 2014.
- Heras, Nicholas. "The battle for Syria's al-Hasakah province". Combating Terrorism Center. http://www.ctc.usma.edu/posts/the-battle-for-syrias-al-hasakah-province. Retrieved 17 February 2014.
- Ziflioglu, Verchihan. "Syriacs establish military council in Syria". Hurriyet Daily News. http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/syriacs-establish-military-council-in-syria.aspx?pageID=238&nid=40329. Retrieved 28 November 2013.
- "Die Welt: Die Christen in Syrien ziehen in die Schlacht". Die Welt (in German). 23 October 2013. http://www.welt.de/politik/ausland/article121122500/Die-Christen-in-Syrien-ziehen-in-die-Schlacht.html. Retrieved 18 November 2013.
- Wood, Josh (6 February 2013). "Syria's Kurds try to balance security and alliances". The New York Times. http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/07/world/middleeast/syrias-kurds-try-to-balance-security-and-alliances.html?pagewanted=all&_r=2&. Retrieved 19 November 2013.
- Irish, John (13 November 2013). "Syrian Kurdish leader claims military gains against Islamists". Reuters. http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/11/13/us-syria-kurds-idUSBRE9AC14C20131113?irpc=932. Retrieved 13 November 2013.
- Salem, Paul (29 November 2012). "Iraq's tensions heightened by Syria conflict". Middle East Voices. http://middleeastvoices.voanews.com/2012/11/insight-iraqs-tensions-heightened-by-syria-conflict-96791/. Retrieved 24 August 2013.
- "34 jihadists dead after rebel clashes in Syria's Idlib: activists". The Daily Star. http://www.dailystar.com.lb/News/Middle-East/2014/Jan-07/243312-34-jihadists-dead-after-rebel-clashes-in-syrias-idlib-activists.ashx#axzz2pdWJiZa1. Retrieved 4 February 2014.
- "al-Qaeda disavows ISIS militants in Syria". BBC News. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-26016318. Retrieved 4 February 2014.
- "Belarus denies US allegations on selling arms to Syria". Breaking News Network. http://breakingnews.sy/en/article/7421.html. Retrieved 5 December 2013.
- Hussain, Ghaffar. "After the Arab Spring: Algeria's standing in a new world". The Commentator. http://www.thecommentator.com/article/3030/after_the_arab_spring_algeria_s_standing_in_a_new_world. Retrieved 5 December 2013.
- "Using Women to Win in Syria". Al Monitor. 29 September 2013. http://www.al-monitor.com/pulse/tr/originals/2013/09/women-fighters-syria-rebels-regime.html. Retrieved 11 November 2013.
- Holmes, Oliver & Dziadosz, Alexander (19 June 2013). "Special report: Syria's Islamists seize control as moderates dither". Reuters. http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/06/19/us-syria-rebels-islamists-specialreport-idUSBRE95I0BC20130619. Retrieved 19 December 2013.
- "Warring Syrian rebel groups abduct each other's members". Times of Israel. 18 May 2013. http://www.timesofisrael.com/warring-rebel-groups-abduct-each-others-members-in-syria/. Retrieved 19 December 2013.
- "Clashes Break Out Between Kurdish Groups In Syria". Al Monitor. 4 April 2013. http://www.al-monitor.com/pulse/originals/2013/04/kurdish-clashes-syria-pyd-kdp-pkk-ocalan-barzani.html. Retrieved 30 November 2013.
- "Rival Kurdish Parties Clash in Syria". Al Monitor. 10 March 2013. http://www.al-monitor.com/pulse/originals/2013/03/rival-kurdish-parties-militias-syria-clash-pyd-pkk.html#. Retrieved 30 November 2013.
- "PYD Leader Skeptical of Kurdish Agreement With Syrian Opposition". Rudaw.net. 9 March 2013. http://rudaw.net/english/middleeast/syria/30092013. Retrieved 2013-11-04.
- "Clashes resume in Tripoli, several wounded". Al-Akhbar. 16 May 2012. http://english.al-akhbar.com/node/7395. Retrieved 31 August 2013.
- "Syria's diminished security forces". AFP. 27 August 2013. Archived from the original on 29 January 2014. http://web.archive.org/web/20140129083721/http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5gtkInEzwWbqoAc5rB8YjKot8Or-A?docId=CNG.d5f1d6f398b0170d098b3ce0afb1ae34.4a1&hl=en. Retrieved 12 January 2014.
- Iranian Strategy in Syria, Institute for the Study of War, Executive Summary + Full report, May 2013
- Pro-regime militias may outlast Assad, threaten future state: report
- "The Qusayr Rules: The Syrian Regime's Changing Way of War". 31 May 2013. http://www.washingtoninstitute.org/policy-analysis/view/the-qusayr-rules-the-syrian-regimes-changing-way-of-war.
- "Rebels top commander denies fleeing Syria to Qatar". Zaman Alwsl. 12 December 2013. http://www.zamanalwsl.net/en/news/2871.html.
- Lund, Aron (13 December 2013). "The Syria Revolutionaries' Front". Carnegie Middle East Center. http://carnegie-mec.org/syriaincrisis/?fa=53910. Retrieved 16 December 2013.
- "FSA alliance pushes back against Islamic Front". The Daily Star. 17 December 2013. http://www.dailystar.com.lb/News/Middle-East/2013/Dec-17/241361-fsa-alliance-pushes-back-against-islamic-front.ashx. Retrieved 19 December 2013.
- "Al Qaida rebels leave mass grave behind as they desert base in Syria". McClatchy. 6 January 2014. http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2014/01/06/213669/al-qaida-rebels-leave-mass-grave.html. Retrieved 8 January 2014.
- Abi-Habib, Maria. "Saudis agree to provide Syrian rebels with mobile anti-aircraft missiles". The Wall Street Journal. http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304703804579382974196840680. Retrieved 20 February 2014.
- Atassi, Basma (22 November 2013). "Major Syrian rebel groups join forces". Al Jazeera English. http://www.aljazeera.com/news/middleeast/2013/11/major-syrian-rebel-groups-join-forces-20131122141129975421.html. Retrieved 22 November 2013.
- Richard Hall (22 November 2013). "Turning the tide? Six Syrian rebel groups join forces to counter rise of al-Qa'ida". The Independent. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/turning-the-tide-six-syrian-rebel-groups-join-forces-to-counter-rise-of-alqaida-8957727.html. Retrieved 22 November 2013.
- "Six Islamist factions unite in largest Syria rebel merger". Reuters. 22 November 2013. http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/11/22/us-syria-crisis-islamists-merger-idUSBRE9AL0I420131122. Retrieved 22 November 2013.
- "TIME Exclusive: Meet the Islamist Militants Fighting Alongside Syria's Rebels". Time. 26 July 2012. http://world.time.com/2012/07/26/time-exclusive-meet-the-islamist-militants-fighting-alongside-syrias-rebels//. Retrieved 29 November 2012.
- "Syria's Islamist fighters: Competition among Islamists". The Economist. 20 July 2013. http://www.economist.com/news/middle-east-and-africa/21582037-one-islamist-rebel-group-seems-have-overtaken-all-others-competition-among. Retrieved 26 July 2013.
- "Syria interactive: the rebels, their weapons and funds". Channel 4. 29 May 2013. http://www.channel4.com/news/syria-files-interactive-rebels-weapons-money-ideology-assad. Retrieved 14 November 2013.
- Al Qaeda's Syrian Strategy
- Beheadings and spies help al Qaeda gain ground in Syria
- "Qaeda-Linked Insurgents Clash With Other Rebels in Syria, as Schism Grows". New York Times. 3 January 2014. http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/04/world/middleeast/qaeda-insurgents-in-syria.html?_r=1&. Retrieved 6 January 2014.
- "Pushing Back Against the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant: The Syria Revolutionaries’ Front and the Mujahideen Army". Carnegie Endowment for International Peace. 7 January 2014. http://carnegieendowment.org/syriaincrisis/?fa=54103. Retrieved 7 January 2014.
- "Syria opposition says it backs rebel fight against al-Qaeda". Al Arabiya News. 4 January 2014. http://english.alarabiya.net/en/News/middle-east/2014/01/04/New-Syria-rebel-alliance-declares-war-on-al-Qaeda.html. Retrieved 7 January 2014.
- "صالح مسلم: لدينا 15 الف مقاتل من وحدات الحماية الشعبية". Ar.pukcc.org. http://ar.pukcc.org/index.php/%D8%A7%D9%84%D8%A3%D8%AE%D8%A8%D8%A7%D8%B1/%D9%83%D9%88%D8%B1%D8%AF%D8%B3%D8%AA%D8%A7%D9%86/item/12512-%D8%B5%D8%A7%D9%84%D8%AD-%D9%85%D8%B3%D9%84%D9%85-%D9%84%D8%AF%D9%8A%D9%86%D8%A7-15-%D8%A7%D9%84%D9%81-%D9%85%D9%82%D8%A7%D8%AA%D9%84-%D9%85%D9%86-%D9%88%D8%AD%D8%AF%D8%A7%D8%AA-%D8%A7%D9%84%D8%AD%D9%85%D8%A7%D9%8A%D8%A9-%D8%A7%D9%84%D8%B4%D8%B9%D8%A8%D9%8A%D8%A9. Retrieved 2013-11-04.
- Sunday, October 13, 2013 - 10:24 (13 October 2013). "Kurds Build Bridges At Last". www.iede.co.uk. http://www.iede.co.uk/news/2013_3209/kurds-build-bridges-last. Retrieved 20 November 2013.
- Davies, Wyre (27 July 2012). "Crisis in Syria emboldens country's Kurds". BBC. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-19021766. Retrieved 1 September 2013.
- Civiroglu, Mutlu. "Kurdish commander: Jihadi groups in Syria have hijacked FSA". Rudaw. http://rudaw.net/english/middleeast/syria/11082013. Retrieved 20 February 2014.
- "A day with the Free Syrian Army". Al Arabiya. http://english.alarabiya.net/articles/2012/12/29/257682.html.
- "Syrian Turkmen Army officially announced". Fars Haber Ajansi. 8 August 2012. http://turkish.farsnews.com/newstext.aspx?nn=9104253347. Retrieved 24 August 2013.
- Oweis, Khaled Yacoub. "RPT-INSIGHT-Beheadings and spies help al Qaeda gain ground in Syria". Reuters. http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/12/06/syria-crisis-qaeda-idUSL5N0JK4RJ20131206. Retrieved 20 December 2013.
- "Interview with member of the "National Unity Brigades" of the FSA". Darth Nader. 17 October 2012. http://darthnader.net/2012/10/17/interview-with-member-of-the-national-unity-Brigades-of-the-fsa/. Retrieved 20 November 2013.
- 28 2 Idlib أوغاريت ادلب , اعلان تشكيل كتيبة عمار بن ياسر. YouTube (2012-02-28). Retrieved on 2012-03-24.
- ادلب كللي تشكيل كتيبة الفرقان في الريف الشمالي27 2 2012. YouTube. Retrieved on 2012-03-24.
- Mouterde, Perrine (14 October 2011). "'Free Syrian Army' poses growing threat to Assad". http://www.france24.com/en/20111014-free-syria-army-opposition-bashar-al-assad-exile-turkey-batallion. Retrieved 16 October 2011.
- تشكيل كتيبة شهداء معرة النعمان تابعة للواء محمد الفاتح. YouTube (2012-02-28). Retrieved on 2012-03-24.
- الأعلان عن تشكيل كتيبة درع الاسلام 25. 2. 2012. YouTube. Retrieved on 2012-03-24.
- Syria Revolts | Documenting the Syrian uprising. Syriarevolts.wordpress.com. Retrieved on 2012-03-24.
- تشكيل الكتيبة أسود الشهباء تابعة للجيش السوري الحر. YouTube (2012-01-03). Retrieved on 2012-03-24.
- حلب تدخل الثورة من اوسع ابوابها كتيبة سعد الله الجابري.. YouTube. Retrieved on 2012-03-24.
- Lebanon news – NOW Lebanon -Assad is growing weaker. NOW Lebanon (2011-10-03). Retrieved on 2012-03-24.
- (04-09-13) Al-Rastan | Homs | Bakkour Battalion Announces Alawites Joining FSA. YouTube. Retrieved on 2013-04-09.
- تشكيل كتيبة تكريم لروح الشهيد رامي السيد في حمص. YouTube. Retrieved on 2012-03-24.
- "The "Free Syrian Army" has a Brigade called "Osama bin Laden", same FSA that West wants to arm". Live Leak. 18 May 2013. http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=cc7_1368907843. Retrieved 21 August 2013.
- "الجيش الحر يستهدف حاجز ميلشيات شيعية على طريق مطار دمشق الدولي 18 35 201". YouTube. 18 May 2013. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKVe-vibcdQ. Retrieved 22 August 2013.
- Christian FSA Brigades in Syria ?. Published on 31 December 2012.
- تشكيل أول كتيبة مسيحيه في ريف حماه. YouTube. Published on 2013-03-31.
- "ISIS and al-Nusra reportedly lose their final presence in Reef Ras al-A'in: al-Hasaka". PUK Media. http://www.pukmedia.com/EN/EN_Direje.aspx?Jimare=15762. Retrieved 17 February 2014.
- Spencer, Richard. "Leading Syrian rebels defect, dealing blow to fight against al-Qaeda". The Telegraph. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/syria/10498477/Leading-Syrian-rebels-defect-dealing-blow-to-fight-against-al-Qaeda.html. Retrieved 8 December 2013.
- "The Story of Al-Tawhid Brigade: Fighting for Sharia in Syria". Al-Monitor (As-Safir). 22 October 2013. http://www.al-monitor.com/pulse/security/2013/10/syria-opposition-islamists-tawhid-brigade.html. Retrieved 22 November 2013.
- Lund, Aron (27 August 2013). "The Non-State Militant Landscape in Syria". CTC Sentinel. http://www.ctc.usma.edu/posts/the-non-state-militant-landscape-in-syria. Retrieved 22 November 2013.
- "A cross-section of Islamist rebel forces in Syria". Al Monitor. 2 December 2013. http://www.al-monitor.com/pulse/security/2013/12/syria-map-islamic-forces.html. Retrieved 15 December 2013.
- "The Staff". Suqour al-Sham Brigades. http://shamfalcons.net/en/page/staff.php. Retrieved 6 December 2013.
- "Kataeb.Ahrar.Alshamal Idlib". YouTube. http://www.youtube.com/user/KataebAhrarAlshama. Retrieved 20 November 2013.
- Higgins, Elliott (23 May 2013). "Brown Moses Blog: DIY Weapons In Syria - The Hell Cannon". Brown-moses.blogspot.com. http://brown-moses.blogspot.com/2013/05/diy-weapons-in-syria-hell-cannon.html. Retrieved 20 November 2013.
- "Rebel groups work to contain Kurd-Arab, intra-Kurd tensions". The Daily Star. 1 November 2012. http://www.dailystar.com.lb/News/Middle-East/2012/Nov-01/193463-rebel-groups-work-to-contain-kurd-arab-intra-kurd-tensions.ashx. Retrieved 19 November 2013.
- Weiss, Michael (2 November 2012). "The impending Syrian-Kurdish conflict". Now. https://now.mmedia.me/lb/en/commentaryanalysis/the_impending_syrian-kurdish_conflict. Retrieved 22 July 2013.
- O'Bagy, Elizabeth. "The Free Syrian Army". Institute for the Study of War. http://www.understandingwar.org/sites/default/files/The-Free-Syrian-Army-24MAR.pdf. Retrieved 6 December 2013.
- Lund, Aron (5 October 2012). "Holy warriors". Foreign Policy. http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2012/10/15/holy_warriors. Retrieved 17 July 2013.
- "Syria's moderate rebels wane as extremist forces dominate". The National. 31 July 2013. http://www.thenational.ae/thenationalconversation/comment/syrias-moderate-rebels-wane-as-extremist-forces-dominate.
- "Front components". Syrian Islamic Liberation Front. http://syrialiberationfront.net/%D9%85%D9%83%D9%88%D9%86%D8%A7%D8%AA-%D8%A7%D9%84%D8%AC%D8%A8%D9%87%D8%A9/. Retrieved 10 August 2013.
- Lund, Aron (3 May 2013). "New addition to the Syrian Islamic Front". Joshua Landis. http://www.joshualandis.com/blog/new-addition-to-the-syrian-islamic-front/. Retrieved 17 July 2013.
- "Syrian Islamic Front on Twitter". https://twitter.com/S_IslamicFront. Retrieved 28 November 2013. [dead link]
- "Statement of the Islamic Front for the liberation of Syria". Syrian Islamic Liberation Front. http://syrialiberationfront.net/%D8%A8%D9%8A%D8%A7%D9%86-%D8%AD%D9%84-%D8%AC%D8%A8%D9%87%D8%A9-%D8%AA%D8%AD%D8%B1%D9%8A%D8%B1-%D8%B3%D9%88%D8%B1%D9%8A%D8%A9-%D8%A7%D9%84%D8%A5%D8%B3%D9%84%D8%A7%D9%85%D9%8A%D8%A9/. Retrieved 4 December 2013.
- Barfi, Barak. "Al-Qaeda's Syrian strategy". Foreign Policy. http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2013/10/10/al_qaeda_s_syrian_strategy. Retrieved 21 November 2013.
- Cullison, Alan. "Meet the rebel commander in Syria that Assad, Russia and the U.S. all fear". The Wall Street Journal. http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303309504579181962177007316. Retrieved 21 November 2013.
- Karouni, Mariam & Holmes, Oliver (12 July 2013). "New front opens in Syria as rebels say al-Qaeda attack means war". Reuters. http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/07/12/us-syria-crisis-idUSBRE96B08A20130712. Retrieved 19 November 2013.
- Roggio, Bill (28 May 2013). "Chechen commander forms 'Army of Emigrants,' integrates Syrian groups". http://www.longwarjournal.org/archives/2013/03/chechen_jihadist_for.php. Retrieved 19 June 2013.
- Paraszczuk, Joanna. "Syria spotlight: Some North Caucasian militants swear allegiance to Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi". EA Worldview. http://eaworldview.com/2013/11/syria-spotlight-jaish-al-muhajireen-wal-ansar-swears-allegiance-abu-bakr-al-baghdadi/. Retrieved 12 December 2013.
- "Free Syrian Union founding charter". 13 October 2013. http://notgeorgesabra.wordpress.com/2013/11/25/for-a-civil-secular-state-100-groups-unite-in-the-union-of-free-syrians/.
- "Syria: Army of the Mujahideen Challenges ISIS Gains". Al Akhbar. 6 January 2014. http://english.al-akhbar.com/content/syria-army-mujahideen-challenges-isis-gains. Retrieved 7 January 2014.
- Interactive: Mapping Syria's rebellion - Al-Jazeera
- Syria interactive: The rebels, their weapons and funds - Channel 4 News
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|