|Born||March 5, 1916|
|Died||21 October 2002(aged 86)|
|Place of birth||Großrußbach, Austria|
|Place of death||Großrußbach, Austria|
First Austrian Republic (to 1938)|
|Years of service||
|Commands held||I./Grenadier-Regiment 1059|
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross|
Leopold Holzmann (5 March 1916 – 21 October 2002) was a highly decorated Major in the Wehrmacht during World War II. He was also a recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross. The Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross was awarded to recognise extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership.
Awards and decorations
- Sudetenland Medal (27 April 1940)
- Iron Cross (1939)
- 2nd Class (24 October 1939)
- 1st Class (15 June 1940)
- Wound Badge (1939)
- in Silver (30 April 1945)
- Infantry Assault Badge (14 October 1941)
- Eastern Front Medal (24 September 1942)
- Honour Roll Clasp of the Army (9 September 1944)
- German Cross in Gold (29 April 1942)
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross on 16 November 1944 as Hauptmann and commander of the I./Grenadier-Regiment 1059
- Mentioned in the Wehrmachtbericht (24 September 1944)
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 193.
- Fellgiebel, Walther-Peer (2000). Die Träger des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939-1945. Friedburg, Germany: Podzun-Pallas. ISBN 3-7909-0284-5.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007). Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives (in German). Jena, Germany: Scherzers Miltaer-Verlag. ISBN 978-3-938845-17-2.