|Born||March 31, 1902|
|Died||4 April 1980(aged 78)|
|Place of birth||Rehberg, Austria|
|Place of death||Krems, Austria|
First Austrian Republic (to 1938)|
|Years of service||1925 - 1945|
|Commands held||Pioneer-Battalion 335|
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross|
Leopold Bartl (31 March 1902 – 4 April 1980) was a highly decorated Major in the Wehrmacht during World War II. He was also a recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross. The Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross was awarded to recognise extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership. Leopold Bartl was captured by Soviet troops in May 1945 after the Battle of Halbe. He was held until 1947.
Awards and decorations
- Iron Cross (1939)
- 2nd Class
- 1st Class
- Wound Badge (1939)
- in Black
- in Silver
- General Assault Badge
- Crimea Shield
- Eastern Front Medal (28 August 1942)
- German Cross in Gold (14 February 1942)
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross on 6 November 1943 as Major and commander of Pioneer-Battalion 335
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 105.
- Fellgiebel, Walther-Peer (2000) (in German). Die Träger des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939–1945 – Die Inhaber der höchsten Auszeichnung des Zweiten Weltkrieges aller Wehrmachtsteile [The Bearers of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939–1945 — The Owners of the Highest Award of the Second World War of all Wehrmacht Branches]. Friedberg, Germany: Podzun-Pallas. ISBN 978-3-7909-0284-6.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007) (in German). Die Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives [The Knight's Cross Bearers 1939–1945 The Holders of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939 by Army, Air Force, Navy, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Allied Forces with Germany According to the Documents of the Federal Archives]. Jena, Germany: Scherzers Miltaer-Verlag. ISBN 978-3-938845-17-2.