|Lawrence George Bernard|
|File:File:RADM Lawrence G. Bernard.jpg|
|Born||February 9, 1914|
|Died||March 29, 1997(aged 83)|
|Place of birth||Arpan, South Dakota|
|Place of death||Santa Rosa, California|
|Buried at||Arlington National Cemetery|
|Service/branch||United States Navy|
|Years of service||1937-1971|
USS R-2 (SS-79)|
USS Stickleback (SS-415)
Submarine Flotilla 6 
Submarine Flotilla 1
USS Howard W. Gilmore (AS-16) 
World War II|
Legion of Merit
|Spouse(s)||Katherine Caroline Lenhart|
|Relations||VADM Bernard E. Manseau (Uncle)|
Lawrence George Bernard (February 9, 1914 – March 29, 1997), was a submarine commander during World War II who reached the rank of Rear Admiral in the United States Navy. Ensign Bernard graduated from the United States Naval Academy in 1937. In 1939 he was instructed in submarine warfare at New London, and in February 1940 was assigned to the USS S-39 (SS-144) as the boat's Communication Officer and later as the Executive Officer. Bernard was awarded the Silver Star and the Bronze Star Medal for his actions in these positions. In May 1944, Lieutenant Commander Bernard took command of the USS R-2 (SS-79), which was attached to the Fleet Sonar School in Key West, Florida. In July 1945 Bernard was promoted to the rank of Commander and took command of the USS Stickleback (SS-415) in October of that year. Admiral Bernard took command of the search for USS Scorpion (SSN-589) on May 29, after she went missing May 22nd, 1968.
- "Lawrence George Bernard (1914-1997) - Find A Grave-gedenkplek". https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/8791488/lawrence-george-bernard.
- "Pre-War O & R Class Boats". http://www.fleetorganization.com/subcommanders1a.html.
- "Submarine Commanders". http://www.fleetorganization.com/subcommandersclassyear4.html.
- "6 Dec 1967, Page 1 - The Black Hills Weekly at Newspapers.com". http://www.newspapers.com/image/94017414/.
- "10 Nov 1965, Page 1 - The Black Hills Weekly at Newspapers.com". https://www.newspapers.com/image/95455878/.
- "T/Cdr. Lawrence George Bernard of the US Navy (USN) - Allied Warship Commanders of WWII - uboat.net". https://uboat.net/allies/commanders/3668.html.
- "Lawrence Bernard - Recipient - Military Times Hall Of Valor". https://valor.militarytimes.com/hero/55248.
- "3 Jul 1968, Page 1 - Lead Daily Call at Newspapers.com". https://www.newspapers.com/image/95198954/.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|