Laurence Cecil Bartlett Gower MBE (29 December 1913 – 25 December 1997) known as 'Jim' and universally credited as "LCB Gower" in his writings, was a lawyer and academic who was Vice Chancellor of the University of Southampton from 1971–79.
He was born in Forest Gate, London (then part of Essex) and educated at Lindisfarne College. He then attended University College, London graduating LLB with first class honours in 1933 and LLM in 1934. He qualified as a solicitor in 1937.
He served in the army throughout World War II initially in the Royal Artillery (RA) as a Private where he served under Sir Mortimer Wheeler. He ended service as a Lieutenant-Colonel in the Royal Army Ordnance Corps (RAOC). He was involved in the planning at Wilton House of the D-Day landings in France.
After leaving the army, he commenced academic work as a lecturer in law at University College, London. He was also Sir Ernest Cassel Professor of Commercial Law at London School of Economics, University of London from 1948 to 1952 and visiting professor at Harvard Law School from 1954 to 1955. He became professor and dean of the Faculty of Law, University of Lagos from 1962 to 1965 and subsequently vice-chancellor, University of Southampton from 1971 to 1979.
During his time at Southampton, there was increasing financial stringency and increasing student numbers. However, the new Medical School expanded and there was provision of special residential facilities for disabled students. All first year students were able to live in university accommodation. At the same time, he served on Harold Wilson's Royal Commission on the Press. After retirement he was asked by the Department of Trade to provide advice to the Government on financial services resulting in the Financial Services Act 1986. He is best known for his work in the UK company law, where he authored the leading treatise, now taken over by PL Davies,
- The Principles of Modern Company Law (1954), pub. Sweet & Maxwell, 6th revised edition (24 July 1997), ISBN 978-0421524804.
- LCB Gower (1956). Some Contrasts between British and American Corporation Law. Harvard Law Review Association. JSTOR 1337659. 
- List of University of Southampton people
- Gower Report
- UK company law
- S M Cretney: Gower, Laurence Cecil Bartlett (Jim) (1913–1997), Oxford Dictionary of National Biography, Oxford University Press, 2004; online edn, May 2008, accessed 27 Aug 2013
- Obituary in The Independent, 12 February 1998, accessed 27 August 2013
- Gower and Davies' Principles of Modern Company Law (8th edition 2008)
- 69(8) Harvard Law Review 1369
|Vice Chancellor of the University of Southampton
John Roberts CBE
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|