July 12, 1968 (age 54)|
New York City, New York, U.S.
|Education||University of Maryland University College (B.A.)|
|Known for||Template:Bulleted list|
|Service/branch||United States Marine Corps|
|Years of service||1986–1993|
Larry David Sharpe (born July 12, 1968) is an American business consultant, entrepreneur, political activist, podcaster, and candidate for the 2020 Libertarian vice presidential nomination. He was a candidate for the Libertarian Party nomination for Vice President of the United States in 2016, losing narrowly to former Massachusetts Governor Bill Weld. Sharpe was also the Libertarian nominee for Governor of New York in the 2018 gubernatorial election. Sharpe is the founder and managing director of the online business training company Neo-Sage Group, Inc.
Early life and career
Sharpe was born on July 12, 1968 in Manhattan, New York and was adopted as an infant. He joined the United States Marines Corps at age 17, serving from 1986 to 1993. He received a bachelor's degree in Anthropology from the University of Maryland University College. After working as an English teacher, Sharpe founded Prime Distribution Inc., a trucking and distribution company which he later sold, in 2001. In 2004, Sharpe built an online business training company called Neo-Sage Group, Inc., for which he serves as managing director.
As a Libertarian Party activist, Sharpe has outlined a vision to grow the party by encouraging grassroots Libertarian Party campaigns across the country. Sharpe served on the Libertarian National Committee as the Alternate for Region 8, until his resignation in February 2018 because of an internal LNC vote that failed to oust the party's then-vice chair, Arvin Vohra, following public controversial comments made by Vohra.
2016 vice presidential campaign
Sharpe was a candidate for the 2016 Libertarian vice presidential nomination. During the 2016 Libertarian National Convention, he placed second on the first ballot with 30.4% of the vote. Because no one received a majority on that ballot, a second ballot vote was held. Sharpe received 46.9% of the vote on the second ballot, finishing second to former Massachusetts Governor Bill Weld.
2018 New York gubernatorial campaign
On July 12, 2017, Sharpe announced his 2018 candidacy for Governor of New York, making him the first person to mount a challenge to incumbent Governor Andrew Cuomo. Sharpe received the Libertarian nomination on April 21, 2018 and Andrew Hollister was selected as the Lieutenant Governor nominee for the ticket.
Sharpe's campaign raised $102,596 prior to the first filing deadline, which was second to Andrew Cuomo's re-election campaign. As of October 10, 2018, Sharpe raised $449,515 for his campaign, the highest amount ever raised by a Libertarian gubernatorial candidate in New York. Sharpe in addition was the only candidate in the race to have visited all 62 counties on the campaign trail.
On Election Day, Sharpe received 95,033 votes (1.6%) and came in fourth place behind Cuomo, Republican challenger Marc Molinaro, and Green Party candidate Howie Hawkins. Sharpe's vote total achieved automatic ballot access for the Libertarian Party of New York for the first time in the party's history.
2020 vice-presidential campaign
On April 13, 2020 it was announced that Sharpe would again seek the Libertarian Party's nomination for vice president, as the running mate of 2012 Libertarian vice-presidential nominee Judge Jim Gray. After Gray was eliminated during convention presidential balloting, Sharpe withdrew from the race.
Sharpe supports reducing regulations such as occupational licensing as well as legalizing marijuana and decriminalizing other drugs. Sharpe has advocated for raising revenue for New York by selling naming rights to bridges and highways.
Sharpe considers himself "pro-choice" as well as "anti-abortion". While running for Governor, he vowed to reduce the number of abortions in New York state by increasing availability of other options instead of establishing regulations on abortion.
Sharpe favors marijuana legalization, calling for hemp and marijuana to be "regulated like onions". Sharpe has said he would pardon those convicted of victimless crimes or otherwise non-violent offenses.
Sharpe has supported deregulation to stimulate economic growth, ending the funding of enforcement of unnecessary regulations. In particular, Sharpe has cited occupational licensing as a hurdle to small business, describing mandatory licensing for jobs such as barbers and dog walkers as "barriers to entry and a tax on the poor." Additionally, to reduce the state deficit, Sharpe has called for eliminating unfunded mandates. He has vowed to follow this reduction in state spending with a reduction in property taxes and the ultimate repeal of the New York state income tax.
Sharpe has called for the decentralization of education in New York State and has proposed a "K-10" model, reducing the span of high school to ready students for the workforce and/or college. Sharpe has also rejected standardized testing until high school. He stated, "everyone should be able to opt out of testing at any time....it puts kids who have special needs at a huge disadvantage. Kids who do not test well are labeled as dumb."
Additionally, Sharpe stated he would refuse federal grants for education. He would also abolish the Board of Regents.
Sharpe vowed, if elected, to repeal the NY SAFE Act by 2020 and pardon those convicted under its provisions. Sharpe supports allowing school teachers and staff to carry firearms on school grounds, on a voluntary basis.
- Barsouk, Adam; Van Staden, Martin (2019). Igniting Liberty: Voices for Freedom Around the World. Sharpe, Larry (foreword). ISBN 978-1793165039.
|New York gubernatorial election, 2018|
|Working Families||Andrew Cuomo||114,478||1.88%||-1.43%|
|Women's Equality||Andrew Cuomo||27,733||0.45%||-0.96%|
|Total||Andrew Cuomo (incumbent)||3,635,340||59.62%||+5.43%|
|style="background-color: Template:Libertarian Party of New York/meta/color; width: 5px;" |||[[Libertarian Party of New York|Template:Libertarian Party of New York/meta/shortname]]||Larry Sharpe||95,033||1.56%||+1.12%|
|style="background-color: Template:Serve America Movement/meta/color; width: 5px;" |||[[Serve America Movement|Template:Serve America Movement/meta/shortname]]||Stephanie Miner||55,441||0.91%||N/A|
- Doherty, Brian ""Meet the Libertarian Party's VP Candidates"". Reason. May 28, 2016. http://reason.com/blog/2016/05/28/the-libertarian-partys-vice-presidential. Retrieved December 3, 2016.
- Libertarian Party. "Larry Sharpe". Libertarian Party. http://libertarian.nationbuilder.com/sharpe. Retrieved December 3, 2016.
- "Meet Larry Sharpe". Larry Sharpe for Governor. https://larrysharpe.com/bio/. Retrieved August 13, 2018.
- Sharpe, Larry. "Issues". http://www.sharpe4vp.com/issues. Retrieved December 4, 2016.
- "Neo-Sage Forum". https://www.neo-sage-forum.com. Retrieved July 17, 2018.
- Welch, Matt "Selling Liberty". Reason. February 2018. http://reason.com/archives/2018/01/14/selling-freedom. Retrieved January 19, 2018.
- Doherty, Brian (February 7, 2018). ""Larry Sharpe, Libertarian Candidate for Governor of New York, Quits the Party's National Committee"". Reason. https://reason.com/blog/2018/02/07/larry-sharpe-libertarian-candidate-for-g. Retrieved February 20, 2018.
- "Will Coley drops out and endorses Sharpe for LP VP". May 29, 2016. https://www.c-span.org/video/?c4601302/will-coley-drops-endorses-sharpe-lp-vp. Retrieved January 19, 2018.
- "Here's What Happened at the Libertarian National Convention". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PioXdolPGCw.
- Lyman, Andy (June 4, 2016). "Naked candidates, frosty delegates and choosing a candidate: The quest for the White House". http://nmpoliticalreport.com/47889/naked-candidates-frosty-delegates-and-setting-the-table-for-dinner-the-quest-for-the-white-house/. Retrieved January 19, 2018.
- Spector, Joseph (December 12, 2017). "Kolb becomes first Republican to officially announce run against Cuomo". http://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/news/2017/12/12/brian-kolb-bid-ny-governor/943458001/. Retrieved December 15, 2017.
- "LPNY Holds 46th Annual Convention; Larry Sharpe Nominated for Governor – Libertarian Party of New York". April 22, 2018. https://lpnewyork.org/2018/04/22/lpny-holds-annual-convention/. Retrieved April 24, 2018.
- Mahoney, Bill (January 25, 2018). "A New York rarity: A serious Libertarian candidate". https://www.politico.com/states/new-york/albany/story/2018/01/25/a-new-york-rarity-a-serious-libertarian-candidate-212763?__s=dbm6j6fzp8msbjcg2gyq. Retrieved January 30, 2018.
- Welch, Matt (October 31, 2018). "Libertarian Larry Sharpe Has Raised a Record $450,000 in New York Governor's Race". Reason. https://reason.com/blog/2018/10/31/libertarian-larry-sharpe-has-raised-a-re. Retrieved November 11, 2018.
- Reyner, Solange (November 7, 2018). "Libertarian Party Gets Ballot Line in NY State". https://www.newsmax.com/newsfront/larry-sharpe-new-york-libertarian-ballot/2018/11/07/id/889825/. Retrieved November 11, 2018.
- Larry Sharpe, Libertarian - Events
- The Sharpe Way
- Welch, Matt (April 13, 2020). "Judge Jim Gray To Seek Libertarian Presidential Nomination". Reason. https://reason.com/2020/04/13/judge-jim-gray-to-seek-libertarian-presidential-nomination/. Retrieved April 13, 2020.
- "Libertarian Candidate for Gov: I have Solutions to Problems that Two Party System Can't Solve". WAER. February 19, 2018. http://waer.org/post/libertarian-candidate-gov-i-have-solutions-problems-two-party-system-cant-solve?__s=dbm6j6fzp8msbjcg2gyq. Retrieved February 20, 2018.
- "Larry Sharpe expected to receive Libertarian Party endorsement for Governor". March 20, 2018. http://www.binghamtonhomepage.com/news/local-news/larry-sharpe-expected-to-receive-libertarian-party-endorsement-for-governor/1063155982. Retrieved March 22, 2018.
- "Coming up on Connections: Friday, September 14". WXXI News. September 14, 2018. http://www.wxxinews.org/post/connections-gubernatorial-candidate-larry-sharpe. Retrieved September 14, 2018.
- Reynolds, Nick (July 6, 2018). "Libertarian candidate for Governor Larry Sharpe visits Tompkins County". Ithaca.com. https://www.ithaca.com/news/libertarian-candidate-for-governor-larry-sharpe-visits-tompkins-county/article_bbc751b8-8116-11e8-931a-9b912d3a9938.html. Retrieved August 14, 2018.
- "Libertarian Candidate for Gov: I have Solutions to Problems that Two Party System Can't Solve". WAER 88.3. February 19, 2018. http://www.waer.org/post/libertarian-candidate-gov-i-have-solutions-problems-two-party-system-cant-solve. Retrieved August 25, 2018.
- Crowley, Peter (July 7, 2018). "Sharpe seeks a less paternal government". Adirondack Daily Enterprise. http://www.adirondackdailyenterprise.com/news/local-news/2018/07/sharpe-seeks-a-less-paternal-government/. Retrieved August 14, 2018.
- Mooney, Cody (August 12, 2018). "Larry Sharpe Makes a Stop in Little Falls". WKTV. http://www.wktv.com/content/news/Larry-Sharpe-Makes-a-Stop-in-Little-Falls-490677711.html. Retrieved August 14, 2018.
- Kendrick, Jim (May 8, 2018). "Governor candidate Larry Sharpe shares appeal in area visit". Livingston County News. http://www.thelcn.com/lcn01/governor-candidate-larry-sharpe-shares-appeal-in-area-visit-20180508. Retrieved August 14, 2018.
- Harding, Robert (June 17, 2018). "Eye on NY: Larry Sharpe, Libertarian candidate for NY governor, brings message to Auburn". auburnpub.com. https://auburnpub.com/blogs/eye_on_ny/eye-on-ny-larry-sharpe-libertarian-candidate-for-ny-governor/article_616f4e48-719c-11e8-8ca0-2f09abba22f8.html. Retrieved August 14, 2018.
- Mahan, Lori (August 23, 2018). "Let Teachers Teach with New York State Governor Candidate Larry Sharpe". Saratoga Today. https://www.saratogatodaynewspaper.com/today-in-saratoga/education/item/8929-let-teachers-teach-with-new-york-state-governor-candidate-larry-sharpe. Retrieved August 25, 2018.
- Silberstein, Rachel (May 2, 2018). "3 third-party candidates for governor to watch". Albany Times Union. https://www.timesunion.com/news/article/Three-more-gubernatorial-candidates-to-watch-12875753.php. Retrieved August 18, 2018.
- Baker, Chris (September 17, 2018). "Legal weed and decentralized education: Can a Libertarian win NY's gov race?". Syracuse.com. https://www.syracuse.com/politics/index.ssf/2018/09/staples_bridge_libertarian_gov_candidate_says_lets_lease_naming_rights_on_state.html. Retrieved September 17, 2018.
- Wallace, Lexie (June 13, 2018). "NY Gov long shot Larry Sharpe visits Oswego". Oswego County News Now. http://www.oswegocountynewsnow.com/news/ny-gov-long-shot-larry-sharpe-visits-oswego/article_feeef2dc-6e7b-11e8-ba2e-c7e21490836f.html. Retrieved August 14, 2018.
- "Sharpe mounts campaign to challenge Cuomo". http://www.troyrecord.com/article/TR/20180113/NEWS/180119901. Retrieved August 10, 2018.
- Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
|Wikiquote has media related to: Larry Sharpe (politician)|
|Party political offices|
|Libertarian nominee for Governor of New York
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|