The Kunduz madrassa attack was an Afghan Air Force airstrike that killed dozens of civilians at the Hashemia Madrassa in the Dasht-e-Archi region of Kunduz, Afghanistan on April 2, 2018. Reports about the exact number of dead and wounded were conflicted in the aftermath of the attack. While the Afghan government denied civilian casualties, the provincial governor of the area reported that 5 civilians had been killed and 55 wounded. A spokesperson for the Afghan Ministry of Defense said the school was a "Taliban training center" and local police reported that a high-ranking member of the Taliban from Quetta, Pakistan was visiting the area. Afghan security forces reported that at least 59 people, mostly children, had been killed in the airstrike. A spokesman for the Kunduz police confirmed that 50 dead and wounded had been brought to the local hospital, while health officials placed the number of injured at 57. U.S. forces denied involved in the attack. On April 11, 400 students gathered to pray for the victims of the airstrike at a rally in Islamabad, Pakistan.
The United Nations Assistance Mission in Afghanistan said they would be conducting an investigation. Their report was published on May 7, 2018, and said the attack killed at least 36 people, and wounded 71.
- "Afghan strike kills many at madrassa". BBC News. 2018-04-02. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-43619834. Retrieved 2018-04-13.
- Ruttig, Thomas. "Kunduz madrassa attack: Losing the moral high ground". https://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/kunduz-madrassa-attack-losing-moral-high-ground-180404095041616.html. Retrieved 2018-04-12.
- "Afghan air attack 'kills children' at Kunduz religious school". https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2018/04/afghan-air-attack-kills-children-kunduz-religious-school-180403064510386.html. Retrieved 2018-04-13.
- April 3, cbs/AFP; 2018; Am, 6:20. "Carnage as airstrike hits boy's school in Taliban territory". https://www.cbsnews.com/news/afghanistan-airstrike-kunduz-dashte-archi-district-kabul-says-taliban-hit/. Retrieved 2018-04-13.
- Press, Associated (2018-04-11). "Pakistan students pray for victims of airstrike in Kunduz". Washington Post. ISSN 0190-8286. https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/pakistan-students-pray-for-victims-of-airstrike-in-kunduz/2018/04/11/13898bfe-3d98-11e8-955b-7d2e19b79966_story.html. Retrieved 2018-04-13.
- News, UNAMA (2018-04-02). "UNAMA Tweet" (Tweet). @UNAMAnews. https://twitter.com/UNAMAnews/status/981044076765204485. Retrieved 2018-04-13.
- "Afghan helicopter raid killed or injured over 100, says UN report". The Guardian. 7 May 2018. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/may/07/afghan-rockets-killed-up-to-107-at-religious-event-says-un-report. Retrieved 7 May 2018.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|