Von Mansfeld was the son of Count Peter Ernst I von Mansfeld-Vorderort, born in present day Luxembourg, and was educated in France. He entered the military of Philip II of Spain, and was appointed a general and an admiral in the navy of the Spanish Netherlands. He was sent to Hungary, where along with Count Mátyás Cseszneky he participated in the siege of Esztergom in 1595 during the Long War. He died shortly thereafter, probably of his wounds, in Komárom.
He married twice, first to Diane de Cossé and, second, to Marie Christine von Egmond, who died 1622.
She had, from her second marriage, a son, Alexandre de Bournonville Duc de Bournonville, Comte de Henin-Lietard (14 September 1585, Brussels, died 21 March 1656), and, probably with Mansfeld, a second son, Antoine III de Lalaing (born between 1588 and 1590 and died 26 September 1613), Count of Hoogstraeten, who married Maria Margaretha de Berlaymont, daughter of Claude Berlaymont, also known as Haultpenne.
From his father's first marriage on 1.4.1542 to Margaretha van Brederode (*ca 1520, died 31 May 1554);
- Friedrich, *1542, died 1559
- Polyxene, +after 17 September 1591; m. Palamedes von Nassau-Chalon (+1600)
From his father's second marriage 22.2.1562 Marie de Montmorency (+5.2.1570)
- Philipp Oktavian, *1564, +1591
- Dorothea; m. Franz Verdugo
Natural Sibling [by Anna von Benzerath]
|Karl von Mansfeld zu Friedenberg||Father:
Peter Ernst I von Mansfeld zu Friedeburg, born Schloss Heldrungen 12 August 1517, died Luxemburg-Clausen 23 May 1604
Ernst II von Mansfeld zu Vorderort, *6 December 1479, +Heldrungen 9 May 1531
Albrecht V, Count von Mansfeld zu Vorderort 1435-3 December 1484
Susanna von Bickenbach, 1450 died 19 April 1530 married 1470
Dorothea zu Solm-Lich (*25 January 1493 +Mansfeld 8.6.1578) married 1512
Philipp Gf zu Solms-Lich, (born 15.8.1468, died Frankfurt 3.10.1544, bur Lich)
Adriana von Hanau-Münzenberg (born, Hanau 1.5.1470, m.Hanau 15.2.1489 died 12.4.1524, buried in Lich)
Margaretha van Brederode (*ca 1520, married 1 April 1542 died 31 May 1554)
Regnault van Brederode, d. 1556
Walgrave van Brederode
Margaret von Borsel
Phillippa von Mark zu Sedan, d. 1537
Renault van Brederode
Iolante de Lalaing
- William White, Notes and Queries. p. 270. Accessed 15 August 2009. here.
- Unless otherwise cited, information comes from: Marek, Miroslav (21 December 2008). "Gf. Gebhard IV von Mansfeld". Genealogy.EU. http://genealogy.euweb.cz/mansfeld/mansfeld2.html. Retrieved 15 August 2009.. [better source needed]
- Solms genealogy page here
- Marek, Miroslav. "Solm genealogy chart". Genealogy.EU. http://genealogy.euweb.cz/solms/solms4.html#DP. .[better source needed]
- This line found in: William White, Notes and Queries: Genealogical Table by John Woodward. p. 270. Accessed 15 August 2009. here.
- (German) "Mansfeld". Meyers Konversations-Lexikon. 11 (4th ed.). 1890. p. 202. http://www.retrobibliothek.de/retrobib/seite.html?id=110899.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|